The Telegraph
Tuesday , January 15 , 2013
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Nuabazar loot at gunpoint

Cuttack, Jan. 14: Unidentified goons today looted Rs 3.60 lakh from two salesmen of a private company.

The incident occurred around 11am when two employees of Om Associates located at Nuabazar were on their way to deposit cash at Oriental Bank on Link Road.

Three motorcycle-borne goons intercepted the branch manager of the private company, Uttam Mishra, and accountant Bijay Satpathy and snatched the bag of money at gunpoint.

“The goons waylaid us and blank fired three rounds of bullets. We handed over the bag containing cash as we were frightened after the firing,” said Satpathy.

Satpathy, who has been working as an accountant with Om Associates for the past eight years, said the goons had probably been aware that they were going to deposit the cash at the bank, as they intercepted them near OMP Flyover Bridge.

“All the goons were in their 30s and one of them was wearing a helmet. The entire incident occurred within a span of one to two minutes,” Satpathy said.

Om Associates, a private company engaged in the sale of FMCG products such as detergent, had moved its office from Pirbazar in Sadar police limits to Nuabazar in Chauliagang police limits four months ago.

This is the first time that the employees of the company have been targeted by the goons, who fled towards Jagatpur after snatching the cash.

Many people gathered at the spot following an accident in which two girls suffered minor injuries just five minutes after the incident of loot.

This is the first major incident of loot this year which has raised questions about the security measures taken by the Cuttack-Bhubaneswar police, which recently completed six years. Goons had looted nearly Rs 4 lakh from a trader near Jagatpur in November last year.

Senior police officials said a case had been registered with Chaualiaganj police and efforts were on to nab the looters. “A case has been registered and further investigation into the incident is on,” said deputy commissioner of police S. Praveen Kumar.