| Policemen gather proof at the Jogdol crime scene. File picture |
Jan. 9: City-based contractor Dulal Bora will soon move Gauhati High Court seeking its intervention in the Jogdol multiple murder investigation.
One Harakanta Doloi and five of his family members and relatives, including two minors, were hacked to death on the night of December 12, 2009, and though three years have passed, their unidentified killers are still at large.
Bora has been fighting since January last year, seeking action against the killer(s) in public interest.
The contractor today said he would file a petition in the high court seeking its intervention and if possible, a CBI probe into the gruesome incident, as the CID was yet to file a chargesheet despite probing the crime for three years.
“During the past year, I have moved the police, CID and the home department seeking action to identify the killers and bring them to book but have seen not much progress. According to my information, the CID is dilly-dallying because of political pressure. So I have decided to move Gauhati High Court with a plea to order the government to carry out the investigation properly. I will also urge the court to ask the government to hand the case over to CBI for proper investigation,” Bora said at a news meet today.
As the incident sent shockwaves across the state, the government handed over the investigation to the CID on December 17, 2009, and subsequently, six persons, including the prime accused, Arjun Bordoloi, were arrested.
But the investigation slowed down after the accused was released on bail.
Bora, who was once close to social welfare minister Akon Bora, went public in January last year with the allegation that the minister was involved in the crime. The minister, however, had denied the charge.
The investigation took a new turn in September when the prime accused, Arjun Borodoi, was found dead and the police claimed that he had died of excessive drinking.
The contractor today, however, questioned the police claim and alleged that the very gang that had committed the crime had killed Bordoloi. “Bordoloi was a poor labourer. How did he get the money to drink so much? I have serious doubts about the CID claim and suspect that he was killed as he knew the gang involved in the Jogdol crime,” Bora said.
Gauhati High Court on Monday asked the police to submit a status report of the Jogdol murders within two weeks during hearing of a petition submitted by city-based heart surgeon Dhaniram Baruah.
Baruah, who was also suspected by Jogdol locals to have a hand in the crime, had earlier submitted a petition in the court seeking a CBI probe.
Baruah’s counsel, Tarun Chetia, today said the court of Justice B.K. Sharma asked the police to submit a status report and reinstate Baruah’s personal security, which was provided in 2011 but was later withdrawn.
Baruah had sought personal security after locals ransacked his heart centre situated close to the crime scene.