The Telegraph
Tuesday , January 1 , 2013
Since 1st March, 1999
Calcutta Weather
Min : 11.60°C (-2)
Max : 25.70°C (+0)
Rainfall : 0.00 mm
Relative Humidity:
Max : 95.00% Min : 30.00%
Sunrise : 6:17 AM
Sunset : 5:5 PM
Morning mist/fog. Later mainly clear sky. Minimum temperature likely to be around 12°C.
CIMA Gallary

Snag hits Metro on New Year Eve

Hundreds of Metro commuters were inconvenienced on New Year Eve after an air-conditioned train got stranded at Belgachhia station in the afternoon.

The third rail current collector (TRCC) — a rod-shaped equipment that transmits power from the third rail to the rake — attached to the rear coach developed a snag soon after the train left Dum Dum. A Metro rake has four such current collectors.

The snag-hit rake — which joined the Metro fleet in 2012 and was manufactured at Integral Coach Factory in Perambur, near Chennai — was evacuated after it entered Belgachhia station at 2.22pm.

“Soon after the train left Dum Dum station and took up speed, a loud noise was heard. We immediately tried to alert the guard. Within seconds, another sound was heard,” said a passenger travelling in the rear coach.

It appeared that the sound had originated from beneath the seats reserved for women in the rear coach.

“The 20-odd women on the seats immediately rushed to other parts of the coach. Before the train could reach Belgachhia, sparks could be seen in the undercarriage,” the passenger said.

Around this time, the guard entered the coach through a door connecting it to the cabin. He decided the train could run till Belgachhia.

“At Belgachhia station, there was an announcement asking the passengers to evacuate the train,” said another passenger.

“Four trains from Kabi Subhas had to be stopped at Girish Park and then sent back,” said an official.

Truncated services were run between Girish Park and Kavi Subhash stations till 3.30pm.

“After waiting for half an hour, I had to take a taxi from Dum Dum station to reach Maidan,” said Sinthee resident Tapas Das, who was taking his family to Victoria Memorial on the last day of the year.