The Telegraph
Friday , December 28 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Versions do not match

New Delhi, Dec. 27: Delhi police today recorded contrary statements of two persons on the circumstances under which a constable collapsed during the anti-rape protest at India Gate on Sunday and died later.

The police said it was “too early” to reach any definite conclusion.

Yogendra, a journalism student, told the investigators that constable Subhash Chand Tomar was not beaten up by protesters but fell down while running.

However, Salim Alvi, a resident of Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh, said the constable was hit by a stone hurled by some protesters who kicked him.

Delhi police had yesterday released parts of the autopsy report that contradicted accounts by doctors, Yogendra and another witness Paolin who did not turn up today.

Sections of the post-mortem report said 47-year-old Tomar had died of a heart attack possibly precipitated by injuries that resulted from blunt force trauma.

Before entering the crime branch office, Yogendra said: “I am not under any kind of pressure. The constable fell on his own while chasing the crowd and I, along with other protesters, rushed to help him.”

Alvi contradicted Yogendra’s version, although it was not clear if both were referring to the same timeframe.

“I came from my home to protest and demand justice for the rape victim. After the lathicharge, I saw a constable being hit by a stone. He was a little behind the other cops and was walking when he was hit with a stone. After that, six to seven persons attacked him and kicked him several times. Three-four people had no caps, four-five people were wearing Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) caps,” he told reporters after recording his statement.

He said he decided to come out and give his statement so that truth must prevail.

“When we are demanding justice for the girl, why should it not be so for a policeman? Truth should prevail,” he added.

Asked why he didn’t report it earlier, Alvi said: “I kept quiet for a day after the constable’s death but when the wrong things started coming out in media I thought I should come to tell the truth.”

The police said Alvi reached Parliament Street police station on Wednesday and claimed that the constable was beaten up. “There are still a lot of things to be verified. It is too early to say anything regarding this,” said S.B.S Tyagi, deputy commissioner.

A senior police officer said the call records details of Alvi suggested his phone was near India Gate on December 16.

An AAP leader said: “If someone is guilty, he should be punished but there should be a fair and unbiased investigation.”