The Telegraph
Friday , December 28 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Victim fights for life

Banka, Dec. 27: A rape victim is fighting a grim survival battle in a district hospital for nearly 10 days with her parents failing to afford her treatment at any speciality health hub.

The Class X student of a government school at Barfara village in the district, around 365km southeast of Patna, was gang raped while she was returning home from the institute on December 15. She is at present admitted to Banka sadar hospital, which, her parents claimed, “is not equipped to treat such patients”.

Sources said her haemoglobin level has come down to 7gm as against the normal 12-13gm and the 16-year-old girl cannot sit on the hospital bed on her own. “We do not have money to arrange proper food. How can we shift her to some other hospitals for better treatment?” asked the victim’s mother. “Doctors in the hospital are trying their best to heal her injuries. But she has not yet recovered,” she said.

Though civil surgeon N.K. Birdharti could not be contacted for comment, deputy superintendent-cum-in charge of Banka sadar hospital Sunil Jha said the victim was brought to the health hub three days after she was raped. “Her father works in New Delhi and was away from Banka when the incident occurred. As a result, her relatives had to face difficulties in finding shifting the patient to the hospital,” he added.

Jha, however, claimed that the girl’s condition was recovering. “A team of doctors has conducted a surgery to repair her damaged organs. We are injecting iron composition into her body. If situation arises, we have to carry out blood transfusion,” he added.

District magistrate Deepak Anand, however, appeared unaware of the victim’s condition. “You should better talk to police,” he told The Telegraph.

The sources added that though the police were initially reluctant to arrest the accused, they swung into action after the residents staged a blockade on Banka-Deoghar road on December 18 in protest against the incident.

Kousar Ansari and Mohammed Sirajul, the prime accused in the case, were arrested in the Shalimar Garden area of New Delhi. Aftab Ansari, the third accused, was later arrested at Barfara. The fourth accused is still on the run.

 More stories in Bihar

  • Future BJP leaders for Modi in top post
  • Box office bash for Bollywood's birthday boy
  • Varsity's public appeal against undue favour pleas
  • My Take
  • Demand dips after LPG cap
  • Slur on duo for siphoning off crores
  • Plan to celebrate at Mangal Talab sinks
  • Bitter sugarcane letter for farmers
  • Futile hunt for missing son
  • Raj era station revamp demand
  • Pay more to party hard
  • Govt to reward cops for scientific probe
  • Pesu hi-tech equipment to detect cable snags
  • Trains cancelled
  • Trip gift on New Year
  • Nitish plays status team game
  • Dowry whiff in death
  • HIV facts for cops
  • Temple funds plea to NRIs
  • Invite to Gere for holy meet
  • Victim fights for life