The Telegraph
Wednesday , December 19 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Man jailed and fined for torturing wife

Dec. 18: A local court here fined a man Rs 10,000 for subjecting his wife to cruelty and ordered that half of that money be paid to her as compensation.

The chief judicial magistrate, Kamrup, Siddhartha Pratim Moitra, in an order passed recently, held accused Dharmesh Kumar guilty of offence, punishable under section 498 (A) of the IPC and convicted him under the said section of law.

The copy of the order was made available to The Telegraph today.

Apart from imposing the fine, the court also sentenced the accused to undergo rigorous imprisonment for two years.

The court order stated that if the accused failed to pay the fine then he would have to undergo rigorous imprisonment for further two months.

The order added that half of the money realised from the convict as fine shall be given to the victim, Manisha Talukdar, as compensation and the other half to be deposited to the state exchequer.

The judge refused to show any leniency to the accused, considering the gravity and the nature of the offence.

“The way the convict subjected his wife to cruelty does not warrant any leniency in sentencing him,” the CJM said in his order.

According to Manisha,the victim, who hails from the city and was an employee at Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi, they got married on May 27, 2005, in New Delhi.

Soon after the marriage, her husband subjected her to physical and mental torture demanding a dowry of Rs 1 lakh.

She said when she became pregnant the accused started harassing her to abort and threatened her of dire consequence if she informed her parents about the harassment.

At that time the couple was staying at Sattarpur in the capital.

Manisha said she was tolerating the harassment thinking about the future of her child and hoping that one day her husband would change.

But when the torture became unbearable, she was compelled to inform the women cell at Motibag police station in New Delhi.

When she took the help of the police, the accused assured her that he would not torture her any more and took her to his parental house at Katihar in Bihar.

She alleged that after a few days the accused went back to his old ways. He even stopped her from going her parents’ house in Guwahati.

According to Manisha, after much persuasion, she was allowed to come to Guwahati.

On April 15, 2007, her husband suddenly came to the city and took her 10-month-old baby away without informing her. She lodged a complaint at the All Women Police Station at Panbazar.

The police later recovered the baby from Katihar in Bihar and returned it to her.

After that she went to Chennai where her elder sister lives in search of a job.

But the accused somehow came to know about it and followed her to Chennai and once again forcibly took away the baby from her.

When she went to Bihar looking for her baby, her husband again tortured her as a result of which her condition deteriorated.

Subsequently, she and her baby had to be rescued by her parents from Bihar.