The Telegraph
Sunday , December 16 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Mukul inaugurates BPL health scheme

Shillong, Dec. 15: The ambitious Megha Health Insurance Scheme, which aims to cover lakhs of families in Meghalaya, was launched here today by chief minister Mukul Sangma.

The scheme seeks to provide protection to BPL households from financial liabilities arising out of hospitalisation.

It will cover five members of a family — husband, spouse and three dependents — with an insurance cover of upto Rs 1,60,000 per household on a floater basis.

Each family has to pay Rs 31 as registration fee after which a smart card will be issued to each household. However, central and state government employees will not be eligible to avail of the ambitious scheme.

Further, the scheme covers hospitalisation in any empanelled hospitals and not OPD-related ailments, and will include transportation cost of Rs 200 for each instance of hospitalisation.

The policy period will be for one year, and hence the scheme will have to be annually renewed.

Enrolment for this scheme will be done by field officers from the state health and family welfare department by giving prior information to the locality or area as selected by the local representatives.

The census, electoral roll and list of BPL people living in the state have been studied in depth to prepare a list of people who are eligible for this scheme and that this list will be put up on the department’s website by Monday.

A dedicated helpline under the Meghalaya Information System for information regarding the scheme will also be set up.

While launching the scheme, Sangma said the government has been able to keep a commitment made to the people where health is a major concern.

“The scheme has been designed in such a manner that it would be sustainable and provide quality healthcare facilities for the people,” he said.

The chief minister said talks are on with the Asian Development Bank whereby Meghalaya will receive $ 100 million of which 90 per cent will be in the form of a grant while the remaining 10 per cent will be in the form of a loan.

The money will go a long way in addressing all the infrastructural deficiencies of the state, he added.

 More stories in Northeast

  • Gogoi plays down infighting
  • Hunt on for Lajong song
  • Two tiger cubs rescued in Arunachal
  • Bail for Sarania in kidnap case
  • Mukul inaugurates BPL health scheme
  • Summons from NIA 'shock' Swu
  • Chambers hold meeting
  • Signal hurdle for new trains
  • Bid to check land alienation
  • Tripura poll details go online