The Telegraph
Tuesday , December 11 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Armed goons attack man at hospital

Bhubaneswar, Dec. 10: Tension gripped Capital Hospital as goons attacked an accused, who was detained by the police for his alleged involvement in a group clash in Baramunda bus stand area today.

Police had brought the man to the hospital for medical test.

The police said that Jitendra Panda and Chittaranjan Sahu were injured in a clash between members of two private bus owners’ associations operating in the Baramunda bus terminal.

Panda and Sahu, both belonging to the Rajdhani Bus Owners’ Association, suffered injuries and were admitted to Capital Hospital.

“While both of us were going to our office located in the Baramunda bus terminal area, members of the rival association attacked us,” alleged Panda, who, along with Sahu, has been working as supervisor of the Rajdhani Bus Owners’ Association.

Soon after the attack, the police detained Satyaranjan Pradhan, a member of the Bhubaneswar Bus Owners’ Association.

In the evening, the police brought Pradhan to Capital Hospital for medical examination. By then, nearly 30 members of his rival association had reached the hospital. The moment they spotted Pradhan, they attacked him with swords and other weapons.

As the goons broke the glass door of the casualty ward and ransacked it, some patients, their kin and a few police present there also bore the brunt of the violence.

While two police personnel were injured, two other patients waiting outside the casualty ward suffered minor injuries. Security guards and a few policemen on duty looked on as the goons went on the rampage. The attackers did not even spare a journalist who was taking photographs of the broken door.

The sudden incidence of violence left relatives of the patients in panic.

“I was standing in front of the casualty block when an armed group attacked a man. They did not even spare us and manhandled those who crossed their path. Most surprisingly, everything happened in the presence of the police,” said Mukesh Jena, a relative of a patient.

However, cops on duty at the hospital outpost nabbed two of the attackers. Police sources said that three persons from the warring associations had been detained.

Following the attack, senior police officers rushed to the hospital. Cops have been deployed at the health hub.

The attack has raised questions about security measures at the premier government-run hospital. Cops on duty at the hospital, as well as private security guards, remained mute spectators during the violence.

“The police outpost inside the hospital is not sufficient to deal with such incidents. In the past, there have been several instances of goons manhandling people on hospital premises. More policemen should be deployed here to avoid such incidents,” said an official of the hospital.

However, inspector in charge of Capital police station Aseem Panda remains unfazed. He said: “Our men are keeping a close tab on the incident. We are on the hunt for the goons involved in the attack.”