The Telegraph
Tuesday , December 4 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Probe points to no foul play

Aditi Ghatak

Water accumulation in the lungs, and not drugs, led to the death of Aditi Ghatak, according to the post-mortem report, police said. Aditi died in a private hospital on Sunday afternoon, two days after a WagonR carrying the college student and her friends fell into a roadside ditch at Sonarpur.

Aditi’s mother and the elder daughter of film-maker Ritwik Ghatak, Samhita Ghatak, had alleged that she might have been drugged. But, according to the post-mortem report, no trace of any poisonous substance was found. There were also no external marks of injury on her body, police said, citing the report. “The post-mortem report says she died because of accumulation of mud and water in her lungs,” police said.

Aditi’s friend, Gyanjeet Patar, was driving and she was seated behind him when the car fell into the ditch around 9pm. “The right rear door somehow opened and Aditi was left dangling out of the car, waist upwards. The car hit the base and Aditi’s right leg got stuck between the car door and the floor of the ditch,” said an investigating officer.

Rittija Nandy, who had been sitting next to the driver, was the first to crawl out. “We saw a young girl, completely drenched and shouting for help. As we ran towards her, she pointed towards the ditch and we saw two wheels of a car,” said Ashok Panja, a local resident and one of the first to reach the spot.

Ashok, along with a few others, dived into the water and pulled out Gyanjeet, who was bleeding from his head. They broke open the left rear window and pulled Tania Basu out.

“But Aditi was stuck. We had to call more men, who broke the glass windshields and lifted the car from the bottom. Only then could she be pulled out. All this took us close to 30 minutes and the girl was unconscious by then,” said Gautam Khan, another rescuer who stopped two passing cars and took the four to Ruby General Hospital.

The others survived but Aditi succumbed to her injuries on Sunday afternoon.

“From the interrogation of the survivors as well as witnesses it looks like a case of accident. However, we will start a case of rash driving against Gyanjeet,” said an officer. Aditi’s mother had, in her complaint, accused Gyanjeet of driving without a licence.