The Telegraph
Friday , November 30 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

No headway in Jamshedpur triple murder case

Even 36 hours after three members of a family were found murdered at Jamshedpur’s Tube Baridih Colony, the police are clueless about who carried out the killings.

In an attempt to establish a lead, the police have started screening the calls that victim Piyali Chatterjee received and made, hopeful that the recorded numbers in the phone could provide a clue to who wiped out the family.

East Singhbhum senior superintendent of police Akhilesh Kumar Jha, who is monitoring the probe, admitted that as of now they are in the dark about the assailant.

“To find clues, we are making all possible efforts. We are also screening the incoming and outgoing calls made on Piyali’s cell-phone. Maybe some of the recorded numbers will give us an idea,” said Jha, while speaking to The Telegraph.

The senior police officer pointed out that whoever had executed the crime had done so with professional precision. He added that the case was a challenge for the district police and would be cracked, no matter what.

The bodies of Ratan Chatterjee (60), his wife Shyamali and daughter Piyali were found lying on their respective beds in the two-room house in Sidhgora police station area on Wednesday morning.

The throats of all three victims had been slit with a sharp-edged weapon in the wee hours of Wednesday, but neighbours said they had heard no sound or commotion.

Significantly, during the post-mortem conducted at MGM Medical College mortuary late Wednesday evening, it was found that there were a number of sharp cut marks on Piyali and Ratan Chatterjee’s bodies, suggesting that the duo had resisted the killer before being murdered.

“The cut marks were on Piyali’s left arm and right hand, and also Ratan Chatterjee’s shoulder and left hand,” said a source in the forensic department. There was no evidence of any intoxicants or poisonous substances in the blood of the victims.

A senior police officer said what made the case more complicated was the fact that the bolt on the back door, which the killer used to escape after the murder was found intact, suggesting that either the killer was present in the house for some time or someone from among the victims had opened the door to him.

The police are also grilling relatives and neighbours of the victims.

Meanwhile, even as investigations continued, a group of JVM activists gheraoed the Jusco office in Bistupur.

“Jusco has offered a contract to an Ajsu functionary, Anand Behari Dubey, to take care of vacant residential quarters at Baridih and Tube Baridih localities. But in the name of taking care, Dubey has let out them to different tenants and earning money,” said a JVM activist.

He added that as there was no way to screen who was taking the quarters on rent, criminals had free access to the area, making it unsafe.

JVM supporters demanded cancellation of Dubey’s contract so that the vacant quarters did not turn into criminal dens.

 More stories in Jharkhand

  • Mrs Salmon takes the stage
  • Blood bank raises bar
  • PMCH fumes over hostels sans facilities
  • Rebels held
  • No headway in Jamshedpur triple murder case
  • Budding pianists hit high notes
  • Dowry suspect in Nagri death
  • Certificates, games and more for disabled
  • Talent on show at Hotwar
  • Two killed in twin mishaps
  • A bomb of a festival from Rio to Ranchi
  • Police hunt makeover tips on student canvas
  • Rs 2-lakh burglary at Mango house
  • 2016 deadline for trafficking
  • A dream bike that speeds away without fuel
  • Marandi cries Panem fraud
  • Schools debate cop role
  • Teen spins growing up tale
  • Capital pitch eyes IPL action
  • Particle peril in city air
  • Swamiji draws crowds at book fair