The Telegraph
Tuesday , November 20 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
Calcutta Weather
Min : 21.90°C (+3)
Max : 32.00°C (+2)
Rainfall : 0.00 mm
Relative Humidity:
Max : 76.00% Min : 48.00%
Sunrise : 5:54 AM
Sunset : 4:53 PM
Partly cloudy sky.
CIMA Gallary

Fallen from one bus, crushed by another

A 41-year-old man was crushed by a bus apparently after he fell from another bus that started moving before he could get off at a crossing near Triangular Park on Monday morning.

Subrata Maity was on his way to Triangular Park, where he ran a cosmetic shop, when the accident occurred. He was taken to Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratishthan, where he died later in the day.

The Swinhoe Lane resident leaves behind his wife and five-year-old son.

Police said after a preliminary investigation that Maity had been travelling on a bus of route 18C and was run over by one of route SD4/1.

“A preliminary investigation suggests the victim was trying to get off the 18C bus on Rashbehari Avenue when the traffic signal turned green around 11.30am. It appears the bus started moving even before he could get off. He fell on the road and was crushed under the wheels of the SD4/1 bus,” said an officer of the traffic department.

Maity’s shop is on Mahanirban Road, a few metres from the spot where he was run over.

Sources said one of Maity’s employees had boarded the 18C bus at the Gariahat crossing. She got off before Maity, while the signal was still red.

“The employee told us that the victim had one foot on the road and another on the footboard when the bus started moving. He tried to hold on to the rod at the gate but lost control and tumbled on the road. Seconds later, he was crushed by another bus,” said an officer of the fatal squad of the traffic police.

The 18C bus sped away, while the driver of the SD4/1 bus fled leaving behind the vehicle. “We want both drivers to be punished. Both are equally guilty. I hope police will be able to track them down,” said a relative.

The police claimed that the crossing was “manned adequately” but when Metro visited the spot, only a lone homeguard was around.

Councillor held

A Trinamul councillor was among the five people arrested on Monday after two clubs, both allegedly patronised by ruling party leaders, clashed late on Sunday.

Bibhas Sardar, who represents ward 7 at Baruipur Municipality, was arrested along with four other members of Pragati Sangha while they were returning after the immersion of Kali idol.

Police said they had clashed with members of Netaji Sangha.

Members of both clubs had a scuffle last Thursday. While Sardar is the patron of Pragati Sangha, Mita Dutta, Trinamul councillor of ward 8, is the patron of Netaji Sangha.