The Telegraph
Thursday , November 15 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Ranchi marks safe Diwali

In Ranchi, it was a safe Diwali this year, with no major fire-related incidents reported from anywhere in the capital.

Barring a few minor episodes, both the state-owned Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences and the fire department had a relatively easy time. According to the medical superintendent of RIMS, the hospital did not have to deal with any crisis during the day.

“It was a safe Diwali. As far as I am aware, we didn’t have to deal with a single case of serious burn injuries. But yes, there were a few cases of light burns,” said medical superintendent S.K. Choudhary. RIMS had made elaborate arrangements for Diwali as in addition to its existing strength of around 15-20 beds, it added another 10 beds for burns-related accidents.

Hospital authorities expressed happiness that the additional beds remained empty. According to them, around 20-25 cases involving mostly children and teenagers turned up with minor or slight burns. “Those who came were from neighbouring areas,” said an official.

Similarly, Ranchi’s sadar hospital too didn’t have any major news to share.

“Not a single big case but a handful of minor burns were reported,” said civil surgeon A.K. Choudhary, expressing satisfaction that people put safety first this year.

A private health hub on Station Road — Gurunanak Hospital — too had no injury cases to report. “Around six cases came to the out patients’ department which were not serious in nature,” said an official at the reception.

Firemen too expressed relief that no major fires were reported in the last 24 hours.

There were four minor fires in different parts of the city on Tuesday, but no casualties.

The first incident took place at B.K. Market in Kantatoli around 6pm due to a short circuit, which was tackled within half an hour. At 10pm, a tree near Church School in Doranda got charred because of a firecracker. An hour later, one of the rooms of Ram Lakhan Singh Yadav College caught fire, again due to a short circuit, which took firemen 30 minutes to douse. In a similar incident, government polytechnic college in Lower Bazar caught fire at 1pm.

“We had elaborate arrangements but fortunately those were not put to test,” said R.K. Thakur of Audrey House and Doranda fire stations.

 More stories in Jharkhand

  • CM serves bhog, prays for state
  • Child rights awareness campaign gets wheels
  • Blaze blow of Rs 6 lakh
  • Killer truck mows down biker
  • Nov. 15 blot: Valsa accused at large
  • Meet focus on young talent
  • JNU unions back Barla
  • Foundation Day pride show in capital
  • Crackers singe 70 on Diwali
  • PLFI men kill cadre
  • Ranchi marks safe Diwali
  • Rob and arrest in 24 hours
  • Catch Jharcraft live and unplugged
  • Brace for weekend shiver