The Telegraph
Saturday , November 10 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
Calcutta Weather
Min : 20.10°C (-1)
Max : 30.40°C (-1)
Rainfall : 0.00 mm
Relative Humidity:
Max : 89.00% Min : 28.00%
Sunrise : 5:47 AM
Sunset : 4:56 PM
Mainly clear sky. Minimum temperature likely to be around 18°C.
CIMA Gallary

Family alleges police inaction

The family of a girl found hanging in her Tiljala home a week ago has alleged police inaction in nabbing the accused killers.

Tanveer Yasin, 28, was found hanging in her room on the morning of October 29. While the police found a suicide note, her family alleged she was murdered.

Police had said Tanveer wrote in the note that she was ending her life because she was not being able to withstand the “immense physical and mental torture” by her husband and in-laws following her refusal to approach her brothers for money.

In an FIR lodged with Beniapukur police station, Tanveer’s family named her husband, mother-in-law, two sisters-in-law and their husbands as responsible for her death.

“The police were forced to arrest the husband and the mother-in-law that day itself. But after that, no arrests were made,” said Tanveer’s younger brother, Talha Yasin.

Tanveer had an arranged marriage with Shakir Alam in 2006. Her brother Mohammed Samir alleged that their family was misled by Shakir’s parents into believing he had a flourishing business in Bahrain.

“Instead of taking my sister to Bahrain, he returned to India within a year and declared himself bankrupt. He started arm-twisting us into giving him money to start a new business,” said Talha. The brothers helped out Shakir twice but the demands kept coming, he alleged.

Once the brothers put their foot down, the alleged torture on Tanveer increased, forcing the family to lodge complaints with the police.

“Almost a week has passed but we are yet to receive the post-mortem report,” said Tanveer’s elder brother Mohammed Samir. “Till now we don’t know whether our sister committed suicide or she was murdered. The cops are not showing any interest in solving the case.”

“We have got two of the accused in custody till November 11. We are on the lookout for the others,” said an officer of Beniapukur police station.