The Telegraph
Saturday , September 22 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Seventh Papiya case accused in the net

Sanyog Rai, the seventh accused in the murder of Patna University professor Papiya Ghosh and her domestic help, Malti Devi, managed to remain in hiding for the past six years by changing his identity.

Working in a Ludhiana (Punjab) factory under the assumed identity of Sunny since 2006, Sanyog’s free run ended last Tuesday. A four-member Patna police team nabbed Sanyog, the last of the seven accused of the twin murders, and brought him to the state capital on Thursday.

Sanyog had left his Kurji Balupur residence under Digha police station soon after the murders and even severed connection with his family.

Announcing the arrest on Friday, senior superintendent of police (SSP) Amrit Raj said: “Last month, Patna police nabbed Mustakim Mian, one of the absconding murder accused, from Seraikela in Jharkhand. A special police team, comprising three sub-inspectors and a constable, was on Sanyog’s trail since then. All seven accused in the case are in custody now.”

Ghosh (53), who was widely known in the city, stayed alone with the help in her father’s Patliputra house, barely 100m from the local police station. Her father, a Bihar-cadre IAS officer, was suspected to have been murdered too. According to the post-mortem report, Ghosh was stabbed 34 times. The police still maintain she was murdered for gain.

The SSP said: “Sanyog was responsible for selling the looted articles and the car. He called up his mother five times in six years. Mustakim’s interrogation and his mother’s visit to Ludhiana once helped us track down Sanyog after raiding several places in Bengal, Jharkhand and Maharashtra.”

Among the five other accused, Shankar Sah, the main conspirator, was sentenced to death. Manohar Kumar, Ashish Kumar and Anil Oraon were sentenced to life imprisonment and Ramchandra Mahto got three years’ rigorous imprisonment and had to pay a fine of Rs 5,000.