The Telegraph
Monday , July 30 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Rage and revenge whiff in gangrape

The prime accused in the June 14 alleged gangrape claimed that he committed the crime in a fit of rage.

The prime accused, along with his accomplice, was brought to Patna by a train on Sunday. “Both the named accused, who surrendered in Shimla and Jalandhar, were brought to Patna on transit remand. They are being interrogated by senior police officers,” said deputy inspector-general (central range) Sunil Kumar, who is monitoring the investigation of the case.

The prime accused, who was said to be the boyfriend of the victim, said he decided to take revenge on his girlfriend after he came to know that she had developed friendship with another boy in his absence.

City superintendent of police Jayant Kant said: “It is an open case and there is nothing to hide. The two accused, who had surrendered before the police in Shimla and Jalandhar respectively, were brought to Patna on transit remand and are being questioned. They will be produced before the chief judicial magistrate (CJM) after interrogation.”

A senior police officer quoted the accused as saying: “Everything was done in a planned manner.”

The culprit told the interrogators that he had contacted another boy (also an accused in the case) to provide the former a place for committing the crime. The police said the latter agreed.

The youth who had provided his flat to the prime accused was produced before the CJM on Friday evening. He was later remanded in judicial custody till August 9.

According to the plan, the girl was invited to the flat at Rajvanshi Nagar on the fateful day.

The youth, who had agreed to give the flat, had also provided the vehicle to the prime accused to bring the girl from her residence.

“Initially, the girl didn’t agree to come to the flat. But I told her that I would come to Patna from Delhi after a year. This made her emotional and she finally agreed. What happened later is now known to all as the entire act was filmed and CDs were made subsequently,” the prime accused told the police.

The youth said he left the state capital soon after he came to know that the matter had been flashed on a private news channel. The second accused, who was brought to Patna on Sunday, also decided to flee after the incident came to the notice of the police. “I fled from Patna apprehending arrest,” he said.

A police officer present during the interrogation of the two accused said the third accused later obtained a copy of the CD from a cyber café located in front of Kendriya Vidyalaya on Bailey Road. The owner of the café was taken into custody on Saturday.

The officer added that the medical report of the victim was awaited.

“Forensic experts have collected a bed sheet, a blue-coloured lungi (piece of cloth), pornographic CDs and other articles from the Rajvanshi Nagar flat. Traces of semen were also found on the bed sheet,” Sunil Kumar said, adding that the police had ample evidence to get the accused prosecuted.

The officer said except one, all the accused seemed to be minors. Sunil said the case would be put on trial on a priority basis.

The police have so far arrested five persons in the case. The victim claimed in her statement recorded before the CJM that seven persons had tormented her.