The Telegraph
Friday , July 13 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Doc attacked for death ‘mistake’

Cooch Behar, July 12: A doctor’s allegedly mistaken report of a patient’s death this morning sparked trouble at a block health centre in Sitai, about 70km from here.

Over 2,000 people from Dhumkhata village, close to the hospital, gathered at the facility after a woman who was declared dead by one doctor was found to be alive. The villagers gheraoed the block medical officer of health’s quarters and broke down its gate.

A large police force was sent from Sitai and the Sitalkuchi police stations to the hospital to keep the situation under control. Cooch Behar police superintendent Pranab Kumar Das said the situation was under control.

“Nearly 2,000 agitated villagers had gathered at the Sitai block primary health centre over the death of a woman there. The situation is now under control,” Das said.

According to police sources, Kiron Roy, a 25-year-old mother of two, had undergone a ligation procedure at the block primary health centre on July 10 and had returned home to Dhumkhata the same day.

According to Kartik Roy, the husband of the woman and a rickshaw van driver, his wife fell ill and he admitted her to the hospital around 6.25am today.

“The doctor attending on her, Kuntal Roy, issued a death certificate at 7.55am,” Kartik said.

Doctors generally wait for a few hours to issue a death certificate just to be sure.

He said he had gone outside the hospital and when he returned he saw the nurse was massaging his wife’s chest.

“The doctor said soon after that she had expired and issued a death certificate. I took the body outside and kept it on the floor. I saw another doctor, Abhijit Mondol, approaching and asked him to check my wife as her body was still warm. He checked her pulse and said that she was still alive. She was taken inside once again and administered saline, but the doctor later said that she was no more,” the husband claimed.

At this point, the people accompanying Kartik became agitated and began shouting against the doctor. Police said they surrounded the quarters of block medical officer of health, Manas Mondal’s quarters and broke down its gate.

On hearing about the commotion, block development officer P.A. Soren arrived. Soren said there was tension in the hospital after the family was confused over the death of a woman. The situation is under control and no one has filed any complaint against the doctors.”