The Telegraph
Wednesday , July 4 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Youth shot at, cops seek divine alibi

Police in the state capital have found a new excuse for failing to stop a murder attempt and arrest the criminals — presence of a temple near the crime spot.

A 24-year-old youth, Vinay Kumar, was on Monday night shot at in the busy Boring Road roundabout — one of the few areas that enjoy round-the-clock police patrol and surveillance.

The assailants are yet to be tracked and the police have this time come up with a unique explanation to cover up their failure to check the crime — they could not hear the gun shot because of chanting of mantras and clinging of cymbals at the temple. The victim, a resident of Dujra near Gol Ghar, is admitted to Patna Medical College and Hospital.

“The police were present in the area and the incident occurred around 10.30pm near a temple dedicated to Sai Baba. There was an aarti going on in the temple and the gunshot couldn’t be heard. The victim, instead of coming to us, was rushed to the hospital by three of his friends. As a result, the police took some time to know about the incident,” an officer at the SK Puri police station told The Telegraph.

“The victim’s family has lodged a named FIR against three persons — Bholu, Prince and Shashi. They are presently absconding. The incident is an outcome of a family feud,” he added.

In another incident late on Monday night, drunkards beat up a team of eight policemen, who had raided an illegal watering hole at Kanhaipur under Mokama police station, around 90km from Patna.

“There were around 12 people, all drunk, and they attacked the police team with stones. Three cops suffered minor injuries. An FIR has been lodged but there have been no arrests yet,” an officer at Mokama police station said.

The police have also failed to trace NIT student Ravi, who has been missing for more than 10 days and his father running from pillar to post. City superintendent of police Kim said they are investigating the case and a hunt is on to recover the boy. She added that there could be a breakthrough in a couple of days.

“The phone locations are still hovering around Hajipur district and the police are trying their best,” the senior officer told The Telegraph.

The boy’s father, Ramesh Rajak, who is still staying in Patna, said: “I got a call from the kidnappers a couple of days ago. Since then there have been no calls. I am worried for my son and the cops are just sitting on the case.”

In the Digha murder case of June 1, an officer, on conditions of anonymity, said that a person has been arrested proving that the police were working hard.

“One among the three persons has been arrested in the Digha murder case. The girl has been nabbed. The cops are not sitting idle,” the officer said.