The Telegraph
Friday , March 16 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Green Valley in last 4

Guwahati, March 15: Green Valley Sports Club today settled for a goalless draw with ASEB Sports Club in an all-Guwahati last league encounter to set up a semi-finals clash with Assam Rifles, Tezpur in the 4th Airtel Assam State Premier League football tournament at Nehru Stadium here on Sunday.

It was altogether another lacklustre show by the powermen who could hardly cause any adrenaline rush till midway into the second session when they resorted to rough tackles to provoke the opponents, leading to temper tantrums in the last few minutes of the match.

With five points under their belt, ASEB were playing for a win to qualify for the round of four while a draw was enough for Green Valley to be in the semi-finals. Green Valley have made it to the semi-finals with seven points.

Green Valley dominated the proceedings in the first half and lost a couple of scoring opportunities by the nimble footed midfielder Apurba Phukan.

They started the second half, too, on an aggressive note and created several openings for themselves. However, they missed the mark on most occasions because of lack of accuracy. Green Valley disappointed their supporters the most when foreigner Salau Nurudeen Olawale’s tap from the top of the box off a Maneswar Mushahary pass brushed past a diving opponent custodian Daoga Brahma’s fingers a few inches away from the woodwork in the 74th minute.

Goals remained elusive for the side the next minute, too, when a power-packed Mushahary shot from the right flank rebounded off the crosspiece to land at the foot of teammate Phukan, whose shot from inside the penalty area was intercepted by teammate Thomson Langthasa. The latter’s shot from inside the goalbox went straight into the safe hands of glovesman Satish Singh. Just four minutes later, Langthasa made a brilliant save under the crosspiece, intercepting a header from ASEB’s Syed Ansar off a Nitu Narzary flag kick.

The match gained momentum from there, leading to some rough play by both sides. Several players were with yellow cards at quick intervals. There is no match tomorrow.

Morning Star Club, Diphu will take on Oil India FC, Duliajan in the first semi-final on Saturday. The final is scheduled for Tuesday.

 More stories in Northeast

  • Award for Jorhat drummer
  • Nature's treasure-trove
  • MLAs join job chorus
  • Board to protect Ward's lake
  • Guide book
  • Wake up call on fly ash dumping
  • City, Bud register victories
  • NGO to chronicle Muslim history
  • Probe demand on hospital project
  • Cops canter into semis
  • null
  • Tea planters' friend turns muga farmers' foe
  • Crackdown on rash drivers
  • Gogoi lists priorities at budget session
  • Cops ask people to counter GNLA
  • Panel to scan defence lands
  • Race for Manipur dy CM hots up
  • Teachers to teach, not cook meals
  • Ire over poor funds in budget
  • Bomb in kitchen kills girl
  • Green Valley in last 4
  • 2 abducted from hill district
  • Greater Nagaland a distant dream: MLA