The Telegraph
Saturday , September 17 , 2011
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
VC away, registrar fails to join duty

Siliguri, Sept. 16: Dilip Sarkar today went to rejoin duty as North Bengal University registrar armed with a high court order, but was kept waiting as no intimation had been received from the vice-chancellor.

Sarkar came to take charge as a division bench of Calcutta High Court had on August 25 quashed his suspension. He went straight to VC Arunabha Basumajumdar’s office to submit a letter with a plea to allow him to join duty from today.

But Sarkar was told by the staff at the VC’s office that the latter was out of station and he would have to wait till they got his response. “I will wait for the VC’s response till the official hours get over at 5.30pm. I will come again on Monday if I receive no response today,” Sarkar said in the afternoon.

Basumajumdar had suspended Sarkar on March 30 last year for allegedly misappropriating Rs 1.5 crore from the university’s confidential accounts while holding the post of the controller of examination from 2000 to 2007.

The suspension was stayed by a single bench of the high court in May last year. However, the VC challenged the stay before the division bench, which in turn ordered Sarkar to go on leave as an interim arrangement until further order.

Basumajumdar by then formed a single-member committee to probe the allegations against Sarkar. N.T. Chakraborty, a faculty at Calcutta University, probed the charges and held Sarkar guilty of embezzlement of the funds.

“I had filed a writ petition in the trial court of the high court on July 7 this year, stating that the inquiry was illegal and biased. The division bench on August 25 rejected the appeal of the VC to keep me under suspension. However, the division bench added a clause that its order would be subject to the verdict of the trial court. On September 6, the trial court quashed the inquiry report,” said Sarkar. “I received the certified copy of the order just yesterday and have come to join office today.”

With no response from the VC’s office, Sarkar left the varsity at 5.30pm.

Employees in the VC’s office said they had not been able to reach Basumajumdar. “We received the letter from Dilip Sarkar today. We tried contacting the VC, but could not reach him,” said an official at the VC’s office.

Basumajumdar could not be contacted by The Telegraph either.

Email This Page