● lt took Somdev Devvarman just an hour and 22 minutes to create history at the 16th Asian Games in China. In a magical men’s singles tennis final he beat Uzbekistan’s Denis Istomin 6-2, 6-1 and brought India its first singles gold in tennis at Asian Games. This glorious moment came after his gold at the doubles court too. The 25-year-old Devvarman also became the first player in 24 years — after Yoo Jin Sun of Korea in 1986 — to win both the men’s singles and the doubles titles at the Asian Games. Keeping going, Som.
● He’s Mr Popular! Narain Karthikeyan took part in only nine of the 25-race calendar but was still voted as the Most Popular Driver of 2010 in a fan poll on the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (Nascar) website. The first Indian Formula One driver, now participating in Nascar Camping World Truck Series, beat hot favourites like Ron Hornaday and the 2010 champion Todd Bodine to get the popular guy tag. This came as a surprise for the 33-year-old speed machine. It’s well deserved, Karthikeyan.
● Englishman Ian Poulter lifted the Hong Kong Open trophy recently at the Fanling golf course in Hong Kong. His toughest challenge was from the Italian teen star Matteo Manassero who was much cheered and played a good game. But in this major win, the 34-year-old World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play winner pulled it off against the 17-year-old by a single shot.
● David Rudisha of Kenya and Blanka Vlasic of Croatia were honoured as IAAF Athletes of the year at the World Athletics Gala in Monaco. The 21-year-old Kenyan 800 metres runner had a great season of 11 consecutive wins. He ran one minute 41.01 seconds in Berlin in August to end Wilson Kipketer’s 13-year-rule as world record holder. The 27-year-old Vlasic, world indoor high jump champion, won 18 of 20 competitions in a challenging season. The wins didn’t come easy, the twice world champion said. Cheers to their power and passion.
You can’t get through this week without…
● …catching up with the India vs New Zealand One Day Internationals. The Indian team put up a lovely show in the Test series it just clinched. After some brilliant performance put in by our players, the expectations have risen. So, ensure that the homework’s all done and you are ready for the fun!