The Telegraph
Thursday , September 23 , 2010
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
Custody death probe with CID

Raiganj, Sept. 22: The criminal investigation department has taken over the investigations into the death of Tariful Haque who died in police custody on July 24.

The deceased’s family has alleged that the policemen had tortured Tariful to death.

“We had requested the CID to inquire into the charges of police torture on the basis of the demand made by the family,” said district superintendent of police Milan Das.

He said four policemen from the Kotar camp had raided a gambling den near Bariol and Tariful was arrested from there. The 42-year-old high school employee fell while he was being chased by the policemen. Later he was taken to the district hospital in Raiganj where he was pronounced “brought dead”.

Tariful’s family had lodged a complaint with the Itahar police the next day alleging that he had been beaten to death at the camp. A case was started under Section 302 of the CrPC and the four accused policemen went under suspension.

“Recently the family appealed that the case be handed over to the CID. We spoke to the officials and they have informed us that they are ready to take up the probe. We are sending all valid documents to the department,” Das said.

Tariful’s brother Israful said he was a heart patient. He had gone out for a walk with a friend after dinner on July 24. “Little later his friend told us that Tariful had been picked up by the police. When we reached the camp we saw the police beating him up,” said Israful. Tariful had been telling them that he was having chest pain and breathing problem.

“Two policemen then took him to the hospital on a motorcycle. We also followed them,” said Israful. But when they reached, they found Tariful lying dead near the emergency ward and the policemen were not there. “He died because of the torture. The police are trying to hush up the incident,” Israful said. The medical officer on duty that night, Partha Sarathi Das, said Tariful was “brought dead,”and a Sorbitrate (a medicine taken by heart patients) was found in his mouth.

Email This Page