The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
Mob beats up jawan ‘goons’
- Securitymen assault traveller, family

Dhubri, Oct. 4: Six security personnel got a taste of street justice on New Bongaigaon platform this afternoon when they allegedly beat up a man and threw him out of a train compartment before molesting two women of his family.

The NE Express, on its way to Delhi from Guwahati, rolled into New Bongaigaon station at 12.45pm.

Biswajit Roy, with seven of his family members, boarded the general compartment occupied by the jawans.

As Roy tried to make space for his family, the security personnel — four from Assam Police battalion, one from the BSF and one from the army — beat him up mercilessly, threw him out of the compartment and slammed the door.

Roy’s wife, Rupa, alleged that the security personnel beat her husband and her brother-in-law and then misbehaved with her and her sister. “They also slapped me.”

Roy, a resident of Kalibari area of Bongaigaon town, was on his way to Delhi where he works in a private company.

He said he had entered the general compartment which was reserved for army/paramilitary forces but alleged that the personnel behaved as if they had “bought” the entire compartment.

“I was totally taken aback when they hit me and my brother-in-law and threw us out of the compartment. They are not our protectors but goons given the manner in which they behave with civilians,” Roy said.

Sensing more trouble, Amar Das, a tea vendor at the station, ran to inform the station authorities about the fracas.

By the time the GRP arrived, enraged passengers on the platform had already beaten up the security personnel.

The authorities then detained and the railway police asked the security personnel to disembark and took them to their office.

New Bongaigaon railway police station in-charge Chitta Ranjan Mahanta said they detained four Assam battalion personnel, one BSF and one army jawan but since no written complaint was lodged he had to release them on personal bond.

“Preliminary investigation suggests that the incident was blown out of proportion. As the ‘victim’ did not lodge any written complaint. So we were bound to release them on a personal bond,” Mahanta said.

GRP also did not reveal the names of the personnel.

Roy and his family said they did not press charges because they did not want to get into legal hassles and were satisfied as the security personnel were “paid back in kind” by the people.

The train, which was scheduled to leave within 10 minutes of its arrival, eventually chugged out at 1.20pm.

Email This Page