A warm, sweaty winter is an ominous sign of what lies ahead. Scientists say global warming is in its irreversible phase and soon king penguins will lose their majestic robe. No more happy feet? It looks grim and the Poles are melting. Soon, the great white bears and the Arctic fox would be lost forever. And the situation is not going to improve in a thousand years. We need a Noah to build his Ark before we all get drowned in the great deluge. Gasp! Glug! H-e-e--p!
1. In which state did the dance form Kuchipudi originate?
Deepti Sen, Howrah
2. Which scientist was invited to become the president of Israel in 1952 but turned down the offer?
Namita Sinha, Calcutta
3. Girnar Hills is the highest point of which state?
Ambalika Poddar, North Dinajpur
4. The name of which gemstone comes from the Greek smaragdos?
Preeti Dave, Jamshedpur
5. Which 1913-born film actor contributed regularly to Nai Kahani, a Hindi magazine edited by his brother?
Sayani Nag, Asansol
6. From which lake does the maximum amount of caviar come?
Arijit Dasgupta, Siliguri
7. In The Ramayana, who was Shatrughnas mother?
Barnali Mitra, Sodepur
8. The dislikes of which cartoon character include his boss, Mr Burns, yard work and neighbour Ned Flanders?
Nilav Kumar Pyne, Tezpur
9. The Weir of Hermiston is an unfinished novel by which famous author?
Salik M. Borbora, Tezpur
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
The largest breeding colonies of penguins are on the islands between 50° south latitude and Antarctica.
ANSWER AND WIN
The Shatabdi Express was launched to commemorate whose birth centenary?
Send in your answers with your full name and address to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 25.1.2009
Salik M. Borbora, Tezpur.
Thomas Alva Edison recited the first stanza of which poem to test his invention of the phonograph in 1877?
The answer was Mary had a little lamb.
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this politician
2. Name this author
1 Andhra Pradesh
2 Albert Einstein
5 Balraj Sahni
6 Caspian Sea
8 Homer Simpson
9 Robert Louis Stevenson
WHO AM I ? Freida Pinto
POINT OF VIEW 1 Shibu Soren
POINT OF VIEW 2 John Updike