The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page

11-yr-old handed over

Raiganj: An 11-year-old girl, who had fled to Patna four months ago to escape alleged torture here at home, was handed over to local police today.

Mahendra Pratap Singh, a resident of Patna, had taken the girl to his home after seeing her loitering at the station. “Of late, she started feeling homesick, so I brought the girl here and deposited her at the police,” Singh, an LIC agent, said.


Raiganj: Five members of the West Bengal Ministerial Officers’ Association’s North Dinajpur district branch, who were accused of assaulting the deputy director of the state animal resource development department, Sajan Bhuian, on July 13, surrendered before chief judicial magistrate Sudhir Kumar on Thursday. They were released after a personal bail bond of Rs 300 each. The officer had lodged an FIR against them after the incident.

Trains off

Siliguri: Northeast Frontier Railways cancelled four Calcutta-bound trains on Thursday because of the delay in arrival of the corresponding train following the Citu strike on Wednesday. Those cancelled include 2344 Dn Darjeeling Mail, 3142 Dn Teesta-Torsa Express and 2346 Dn Saraighat Express on Thursday and the 5658 Dn Kanchanjunga Express scheduled for Friday morning. The Sealdah-bound Darjeeling Mail and Teesta-Torsa Express for Wednesday had left at 12.50am and 4.30am on Thursday, railway sources said.

Parties clash

Islampur: Six persons were injured and three huts torched at Dangapara in Chopra on Thursday following a clash between CPM and Congress supporters. The clash centred around the formation of a village development committee. The injured were admitted to a primary health centre. Nobody has been arrested.

Headless body

Alipurduar: A headless body was found on the bank of the Dharshi in Samuktala on Thursday. The body of Mangal Marandi (22) was first spotted by villagers. Police claimed to have identified Marandi’s killer are yet to arrest him.

Email This Page