The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
2 lynched in cricket discord

Jamshedpur, March 10: Two siblings lost their lives following a dispute over an umpire’s decision during a cricket match.

The duo were lynched in Sini, about 35km from here, yesterday evening after the altercation over the decision snowballed into a brawl.

The deceased, Sambhu (25) and Mangu Kansari (23), were residents of Mohitpur village. They were allegedly killed by youths from Palasdi village, against whom the Mohitpur team was playing in Sini. The villages are within a kilometre of Sini.

Sources said while the match was in progress, an argument began after some players disagreed with the umpire’s decision against a batsman from Mohitpur. While the Palasdi team supported the umpire’s decision, their rivals protested.

Sources said the youths from Mohitpur turned angry and the game was disrupted. Mohitpur players thrashed some players of the rival team, too.

The “insulted” youths of Palasdih went to their village and returned to the cricket ground with sticks, iron rods and other weapons. Even as most youths of Mohitpur village had returned to their village by then, the Kansari brothers were hanging around for some reason. The Palasdih youths thrashed the duo at the cricket ground, located near Sini market.

Mangu died on the spot while Sambhu and three other youths of Mohitpur were seriously injured. Sources said after the attackers fled, passers-by took the injured to a referral hospital, where Sambhu was declared brought dead.

Seraikela-Kharsawan superintendent of police Laxman Prasad Singh confirmed that there was a clash in Sini during a cricket match.

“I have sent deputy superintendent of police and circle inspectors of Seraikela and Adityapur to the villages to ensure that the situation is under control and the guilty are booked,” said Singh, adding that forces have been deployed in the villages and at Sini since last night.

Inspector of Seraikela police station S.B. Singh said the three Mohitpur youths injured in the clash had been admitted to a referral hospital. A case of murder has been registered against some Palasdih residents.

Email This Page