An accidental spark in a crate containing seized firecrackers set Bally police station on fire on Wednesday morning.
Five workers who were cleaning the storeroom saw a flash in one of the several boxes of crackers around 10.45am. They tried to put out the fire, but failed. “We ran out and soon after, heard a blast. Black smoke started billowing from the room,” said Deepak Dahlia, a worker.
There were around 50 cylinders in the room, six of which were full. “There would have been a disaster had the cylinders exploded,” said an officer. Three tenders took around two hours to bring the blaze under control.
The police station was immediately vacated and those in the lock-up were shifted to the nearby traffic guard’s room.
Police superintendent Niraj Singh said: “It seems the fire had started from the illegal firecrackers seized during Kali puja.” A probe has been ordered to find out why so many cylinders were kept in the room.