The Telegraph
  My Yahoo!
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
Email This Page
CBI gets time for Rizwanur report

Calcutta High Court on Monday granted the CBI time till January 8 to submit its report on the mystery shrouding the death of Rizwanur Rahman.

During the hearing on Monday, the CBI lawyer pleaded for more time to complete its report and Justice Soumitra Pal awarded an extension.

Though Kalyan Banerjee, the advocate for the Rahman family, opposed the extension highlighting how the Todi family and Calcutta police had not submitted their affidavits, the court decided to take up the matter on the next date of hearing.

According to CBI sources, the agency was not keen on filing a preliminary report as it could have led to tampering of evidence. Also, the Nandigram case is top priority and submitting preliminary reports for both on Monday was best avoided.

Metro focuses on the holes the CBI is hoping to plug in the next three weeks:

nThe investigation so far has thrown up a letter that Rizwanur had left for Ashok Todi. According to CBI sources, only a part of the letter — which was deleted from the computer — could be retrieved from the hard disk of the computer. What has been found, say sources, is the second half of the letter. The agency suspects that in the first part of the letter Rizwanur had named some people close to him and explained the pressure he had come under between September 19 and 21.

nThe CBI is probing why Rizwanur had not tried to contact any of his family members on the morning of September 21.

nThe agency has got proof of financial transactions, but it is digging for more details about the money trail. That Pappu took Rs 11 lakh from the Todis has been established, but who the other beneficiaries of the deal were is yet to be proved.

nThe CBI is not satisfied with the statements of the driver and the guard of the train, which allegedly hit Rizwanur. Over the weekend, a CBI team interrogated the driver of the Sealdah-Burdwan local, S.P. Sinha. According to railway sources, the driver had earlier said the man who jumped on the tracks was around 50-55 years old. Inconsistencies about the train’s departure time are also under scanner.

Email This Page