The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Police parade before CBI
- Sleuths find cops spent four hours at Rizwanur’s home

Calcutta, October 29: The CBI today asked two Karaya police sub-inspectors why they had spent all of four hours at Rizwanur Rahman’s home after his father-in-law Ashok Todi lodged a verbal complaint of kidnapping.

Pulak Dutta and Jayanta Chakraborty were interrogated with two other officers as the CBI today swivelled its probe to the police harassment of Rizwanur and Priyanka Todi.

The agency also focused on the role of deputy commissioners Ajoy Kumar and Gyanwant Singh and assistant commissioner Sukanti Chakraborty, recording the statement of Rizwanur’s brother Rukbanur against them and hinting they would be summoned, too.

During the seven-hour questioning of the four junior officers, the sleuths kept going across to the room where Rukbanur sat, cross-checking their statements with him.

The SIs’ four-hour visit came on August 31. “The couple promptly produced their marriage certificate and age-proof documents. Then what took them so long'” a CBI official told The Telegraph.

Dutta and Chakraborty reportedly replied they wanted Ashok Todi and his family members — who too visited the Tiljala Lane house that day — to talk to Priyanka in front of them as long as they wanted.

“They claimed they refused to intervene and left when Priyanka insisted she wanted to be with Rizwanur,” the CBI official said.

Since Dutta alone had been assigned to visit the Rahman home, Chakraborty was asked why he had gone along, too. He reportedly replied he had “just” accompanied his colleague.

Swapan Mitra, officer in charge (OC) of Karaya police station, was asked why his men had meddled in a married couple’s personal lives. The CBI also told Mitra to explain what he had done to ensure the security of Rizwanur and Priyanka, who had written to him on September 3 saying they were living in fear.

The OC said his officers had informed a police kiosk near Rizwanur’s home to look after the couple’s security.

Rukbanur told the CBI how his brother was forced to sign a bond at Lalbazar on September 8 and Priyanka was bullied into returning to the Todi home, ostensibly for seven days. Kumar, then city detective chief, threatened to arrest Rizwanur if he didn’t sign the bond, said Rukbanur, who was present.

“Rukbanur said Priyanka had pleaded with Kumar that she would go only for three days but he scolded her and asked her to keep quiet,” the CBI official said.

On September 4, Gyanwant had also pressured Priyanka to return to her parents, Rukbanur said, going on to describe the alleged strong-arm tactics used by Sukanti.

The agency is yet to summon the three senior officers, but team leader Arun Kumar said, “We will speak to all those who we think need to be examined.”

Entally OC Pradip Dam, whom Rizwanur had informed through a letter about his marriage to Priyanka, was the fourth officer questioned. The couple were planning to shift to the CIT Road area, which falls in Dam’s territory.

“We wanted to match the officers’ statements against those provided by Rizwanur’s family…. There are some anomalies and we are checking them,” a CBI official said.

Email This Page