The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Plea to lift case in lawyer murder

Jamshedpur/Ranchi, Sept. 16: On a day Arvind Guha, along with his family, was sent to jail for killing advocate Sadhan Kumar Chatterjee, a request to lift the case against Guha’s son came as surprise to many.

The request was sent by none other than Chinmoy Guha, Arvind’s brother with whom he was engaged in a legal war over property for the past several years. Chinmoy today called up the deputy superintendent of police, S.K.F. Kujur, and requested that the case against Arindam, Arvind’s son, be dropped and he be allowed to bear all his expenses, as his parents are lodged in jail.

However, police sources said Kujur was yet to decide on the matter.

Meanwhile, the East Singhbhum District Bar Association today demanded immediate suspension of the police officers, including the deputy superintendent of police, in connection with an unsuccessful “rescue operation” that led to the abducted advocate’s death.

The association’s office-bearers, including secretary H.K. Choudhary, handed over the FIR’s copy to superintendent of police Navin Kumar Singh demanding to lodge a case against the police officers for “criminal negligence”.

They alleged that the rescue operation at Arvind’s Sonari residence was done without any strategy. The advocates pointed out that the police were not bothered to arrange a team of doctors before starting such an operation.

Singh said that the case could be lodged against the officers if proved negligence during the rescue. “An internal inquiry panel has been set up,” Singh said.

The association has demanded Rs 10 lakh as compensation from the government due to Chatterjee’s death. The members also took a resolution to abstain from work tomorrow. The chairman of the Jharkhand State Bar Council, S.N. Roy will visit Jamshedpur court tomorrow to chart out future course of action.

According to a senior police officer Chatterjee had informed the association about the injustice done by seven-eight lawyers who pursued Arvind’s case. “The letter was received by the association on September 10. But they did not inform the police on that day. The letter mentioned names of certain lawyers who happened to work against the interest of their client,” he said.

In fact, Arvind told The Telegraph yesterday that he had abducted Chatterjee, as the latter had spoilt his prospect of fighting a battle by provocating some junior lawyers who were pleading for him.

Email This Page