The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Man crushed by wheels

Killer wheels claimed yet another life on Wednesday morning when a 47-year-old pedestrian was run over by a lorry on Beleghata Main Road.

Sanatan Adhikary, a peon with a private firm, was on his way to work when he was hit by the speeding lorry around 10am.

He died on the spot after the front and rear wheels rolled over him.

The driver attempted to flee but was chased and caught by residents of the area and pedestrians, who later handed him over to officers of Entally police station.

Gyanwant Singh, the deputy commissioner of police (headquarters), said the accident occurred near Munshibazar on Beleghata Main Road.

“Sanatan Adhikary, left home for office as usual on Wednesday morning. Witnesses said he was knocked down by a lorry while waiting to cross the road,” Singh added.

Adhikary was walking down when the lorry came speeding from west to east, according to an officer of the Sealdah Traffic Guard.

“Eyewitness accounts confirmed that the lorry was racing along. It overtook an autorickshaw at full speed and lost control while trying to swerve to the left,” added the officer.

The sudden lurch to the left brought the lorry directly into the path of Adhikary, who was waiting by the side of the road. “It knocked him down and then crushed him under the wheels,” said Naresh Yadav, who witnessed the accident.

Adhikary’s death could have been averted had the lorry driver slammed the brakes on time as he had been flung away but not seriously wounded by the first impact, said an officer of Entally police station.

The driver, who managed to jump out of his cabin and run a fair distance before being caught, has been charged with causing death due to negligence and rash driving.

“The impounded lorry, which is currently at Entally police station, will be sent for a mechanical test to verify whether it was roadworthy,” said deputy commissioner Singh.

Adhikary’s body was handed over to his family members — wife and three children — on Wednesday evening after the post-mortem at Nil Ratan Sirkar Medical College and Hospital.

Email This Page