The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Teen sick after caffeine overdose

London, Aug. 13: A 17-year-old was rushed to hospital after overdosing on espresso coffee while working in the family’s sandwich shop.

Jasmine Willis said she was “burning up and hyperventilating” after she downed seven double espressos, confusing them for single measures.

The college student was sent home by her father after the symptoms of the caffeine overdose caused her to laugh and cry uncontrollably in front of customers in her father’s shop in Stanley, county Durham. Paramedics were called out when she developed a fever and was unable to breathe properly.

Doctors at the University Hospital of North Durham confirmed she had overdosed on caffeine and after monitoring her condition allowed her home a few hours later. She said she wanted to warn others about the dangers of excessive coffee drinking.

She said: “I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I think I was going into shock. I felt exhausted for days afterwards.”

Top
Email This Page