The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Girl missing, one detained

More than 72 hours have passed since a college girl went missing from her Salt Lake home, but her family is still clueless about her whereabouts.

A temporary employee of the postal department, with whom she had a relationship, has been detained over the incident. The girl had a tiff with her parents over excessive use of cellphone on Monday night.

The next morning, 23-year-old Rimita Naskar left the family’s EC 103 flat in Laboni Housing Estate for Bidhannagar College, where she was a final-year history honours student. Rimita is the only child of Shankar and Kuheli Naskar.

“She told me she had some work in college and went out. When she did not return even late in the evening, I started contacting my relatives. We do not have any information about her,” said Shankar.

According to the central government employee, he initially tried to keep his daughter’s disappearance under wraps. “I didn’t want the whole world to know about it,” said the father, sitting in his two-room flat.

He filed a missing complaint at Bidhannagar (North) police station on Thursday afternoon. “We are probing the incident,” said the police superintendent of North 24-Parganas, Praveen Kumar.

The detention of the youth is the only breakthrough. According to police, Tapan Das Adhikari, once Rimita’s classmate in college, was detained on the basis of the information provided by the girl’s family. Tapan, from Kakdwip, lives in a boarding house in Sonarpur.

“Rimita’s father told us that she and Tapan were close friends and were in touch. There were several entries about Tapan in the girl’s diary,” said an officer of the police station.

During interrogation, Tapan admitted that he had a close relationship with Rimita for more than one-and-a-half years. The youth, however, claimed that the last time he spoke to her was on Monday evening.

That night, Rimita’s father scolded her for talking on the cellphone for a long time.

“She was having a lengthy conversation over the phone. I asked her who was at the other end, but she refused to answer. I then took away her handset,” recounted Shankar. He kept the phone in an almirah.

Next morning, Rimita took the phone out and left home. Since Tuesday afternoon, the phone is switched off. To the sleepless parents, the cellphone now seems the only hope of contacting Rimita.

“I do not have a problem if she has an affair. I just want to know that she is alright wherever she is,” said Shankar.

Tapan can provide vital information about Rimita, feel the investigators. But the youth’s family is crying foul over the detention.

“We have no idea about Tapan’s relationship with any girl . We have come to know about it just now,” said Tapan’s elder brother Narayan.

Email This Page