The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Missing student found dead

Bhubaneswar, March 22: Four days after he was kidnapped on his way back from tuitions, city police today recovered the decomposed body of Pritish Ranjan Dash (18), an engineering student, from a pump house below a deserted water tower near Ghatikia on the city outskirts.

The mutilated body had a deep cut on the neck with a trail of dried blood on the floor around it. Both the fists were tightly clasped with pieces of cloth from what appeared to be of a black T-shirt.

The wooden cover of a bhujali, an iron chain with a handle and a half-broken plastic bucket with blood stains were also recovered from the spot.

The discovery has left the police “confused” amid a spiralling sense of resentment among Pritish’s family members about their “inaction”.

While the police sense a hint of professional hand in the teenager’s death, they are still clueless about the motive.

“The items recovered from the spot indicate that this must have been a handiwork of professionals,” said investigating officer P.C. Tripathy.

“But whether the ransom was the sole motive of the murder is yet to be ascertained. It is too early to arrive at any conclusion,” Tripathy’s colleague and inspector-in-charge of Khandagiri police station Sashibhushan Sathpathy said.

Pritish’s family, however, blame the cops, who, they allege, have been ignoring the case citing Pritish’s involvement in the entire episode.

“We had told them to concentrate on searching Pritish, lest he might be injured, but they kept on stretching the interrogation for no reason saying that it was a self-spun plot,” Jatin Swain, the victim’s relative, said.

“He had no enemies. We are not able to figure out why our son was killed so brutally. It was a big mistake to trust the police. They delayed the matter for no reason even after recovering his vest blotted with blood from his bike,” Ranjan Das, the boy’s father, added.

Meanwhile, Pappu Swain, who earlier arrested by the police for his alleged involvement in the case, was forwarded to the court yesterday.

The police also made another arrest on a tip-off from Pappu during interrogation. Kabu Sahoo (20), a taxi driver, was arrested from his uncle’s place in Nayagarh last night.

Kabu, however, pleaded innocence saying that he was no way involved in the game.

“I know nothing about it. Pappu and one Santosh had called me to the tower on Monday evening. When I reached there I saw them threatening Pritish with a bhujali but returned soon,” Kabu said.

Email This Page