The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Bikers molest Irish women

Calcutta, Nov. 19: Two young Irish women who arrived in the city days ago were molested by motorcyclists when they were out shopping last night.

The victims, aged 29 and 30, have said in their complaint to New Market police station they were walking down Sudder Street around 9 pm when two youths came up from behind on a motorcycle. They slowed down the vehicle and followed the women from a distance.

“The youths then drew up close to the women and started circling them. When the women ignored them, the youths stopped them on their way, pulled them by their hands and flung them on the ground,” a senior officer of New Market police station said.

The women raised the alarm, bringing people on the street running to the spot. Chased by the local people, the motorcyclists sped away. The incident has shaken foreigners hanging out on the street, a favourite haunt of back-packers.

“We have started a probe based on the complaint lodged by the two women. It is a very unfortunate incident but the two youths will be rounded up for sure,” said Ajay Ranade, the deputy commissioner of police, central.

The complaint was filed this evening — almost 24 hours after the incident — and a case of molestation and eve-teasing started against the two youths.

The women, who are staying at a hotel on Kyd Street, had walked up to the police station soon after the incident to report what happened but were asked to return later to make an official complaint, sources said. But the policemen would not comment on this allegation.

“I am not sure why the two women turned up only this afternoon to lodge their complaint. I don’t think there was any lapse on our part,” said Hiren Chandra Das, the officer-in-charge of the New Market police station.

This is the second such incident this month after a group of youths followed a few young girls on an auto-rickshaw in Tollygunge, harassing them and making lewd gestures. On November 7, Ayan Chakraborty, a senior executive with a private organisation, had stepped in and told the youths to behave. He was later beaten up by them near Tollygunge Metro station.

Email This Page