The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Yakub misses child

Mumbai, Sept. 14: Yakub Memon today rued the time lost with his family.

“I was married in 1991 and stayed with my wife only for two years. I have not spent a single day with my daughter in her entire life,” said the chartered accountant who has been convicted for his role in the 1993 Bombay blasts.

Yakub and Raheen’s daughter, now 12, was born two days after he returned to India in 1994. The Memon family had fled the country before the blasts on March 12, 1993.

Tiger Memon, Yakub’s eldest brother and a prime suspect in the case, another brother Ayub and their wives stayed on in Pakistan but the rest of the family returned and were arrested.

The only one of the Memons never to have got bail in all these years, Yakub said he would not have mustered the strength to return to India had he waited till his daughter was born.

“I knew that once she is born, I would not have returned out of love for her,” he told the court.

“Now she has grown up, and she should not carry a wrong conscience about me.”

Pleading to be given a chance to earn his living once again, Yakub said Raheen had suffered separation from her husband as well as the trials and tribulations of the case.

She has been acquitted along with mother-in-law Hanifa and brother-in-law Suleman. Yakub, who was convicted along with brothers Essa and Yusuf and sister-in-law Rubeena, is likely to be handed a life sentence.

Distancing himself from Ibrahim Mushtaq alias Tiger, he said: “I came to know that Ibrahim bhai was known as Tiger only after the blasts. I have been dragged into this case only because I am his brother.” He denied all charges, including that of financing the blasts.

Later, the prosecution protested when Yakub asked why the 1992-93 riot accused were going scot-free. When Judge Pramod Kode told him to speak only about his sentence, he said: “Sir, please let me speak. I am a little mad. I think of the long term. You can deem me mad later but please let me speak.”

Kode asked him to submit a written statement tomorrow if he wished to elaborate. After Yakub, the statements of Essa and Rubeena were recorded. Yusuf, a schizophrenia patient, was absent.

Email This Page