The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Attack on family after love ‘suicide’

Suri, Sept. 3: Over 500 people attacked an 18-year-old girl’s house here this morning after she tried to commit suicide together with her 20-year-old boyfriend but survived alone.

As the outsiders tried to bring down a wall and storm the house, about 15 people including the girl’s octogenarian grandparents cowered inside, fearing all the while that the bolted doors and windows would give way some time or the other.

Police had to fire in the air and wield the baton to disperse the mob armed with bamboo sticks and iron rods that had descended on the girl’s house to avenge the boy’s death.

Mousumi Hazra and Baban Bagdi were found hanging together from a ceiling fan in her house at Tilpara on the outskirts of Suri town, about 230 km from Calcutta. Baban was dead, not Mousumi. She’s fighting for life at Suri Sadar Hospital, unconscious since being admitted.

“Mousumi’s family did not approve of her relationship. Her father had settled his daughter’s marriage elsewhere. Mousumi and Baban tried to commit suicide when no one else was present in her house,” a police officer said.

Her father Sujit, a medicine wholesaler, had gone with his wife to the sadar hospital to see a relative who was to undergo a surgery. A cousin who came visiting broke open the Hazras’ door when there was no response to his knocks and calls to Mousumi to open the door.

The two were rushed to the hospital, where the boy was declared brought dead.

As the news spread this morning, a mob led by Baban’s elder brother Sudhir, a cook in a local eatery, raided the Hazras’ house. “Sudhir accused the Hazras of murdering his brother,” the officer said.

“A force was sent as soon as we heard that a large number of people were heading towards the girl’s house,” said Birbhum superintendent of police S.S. Panda.

The force faced an angry mob, which, when asked to disperse, refused to budge.

Outnumbered, the police team sought reinforcements. Before deputy superintendent Amitabha Maity arrived with a large contingent, the mob hurled stones at the house and tried to bring down a wall.

The new police team in sight, they turned more violent. Brickbats hit Maity and four other personnel.

A police lathicharge prevented the mob from entering the house but failed to disperse it. A police jeep was battered in retaliation.

“Our DSP was seriously injured. We were compelled to fire in the air. Six people have been arrested,” Panda said.

Email This Page