The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Nadia man dies in Delhi after dinner party

Krishnagar, Jan. 29: Shrouded in mystery, the body of Aksar Biswas, an alternative medicine practitioner who worked in a Delhi nursing home, reached his hometown in Nadia tonight.

Aksar had died after he went to a party with three doctors on Republic Day. The next morning, they told his wife Sulekha that her husband had suffered a heart attack. But she refused to believe them and lodged a complaint at a Delhi police station, accusing the trio of poisoning Aksar.

'My husband never smoked or drank alcohol. He was murdered as a fallout of professional rivalry,' Sulekha said.

She arrived in Chapra by train today accompanied by brother Iaar Ali Biswas, who works at the Prime Minister's Office, and sons aged four years and four months.

The Delhi nursing home had provided an ambulance to bring Aksar's body home.

Acting on Sulekha's com- plaint, Delhi police yesterday asked their Nadia counterparts to take possession of the body and conduct a post-mortem.

Sulekha said the three doctors of Aksar's nursing home had invited her husband to a dinner at Malvya Nagar on January 26.

'Before leaving around 9 pm, Aksar told me he would be late but would definitely return home. But he did not. I called my husband on his mobile phone but it was switched off. When I called up the nursing home late at night, I was told that the party was still on at Malvya Nagar,' she said.

When Sulekha rushed to the nursing home in the morning, she was 'confined' to a room for hours. 'They only told me that my husband would come from Malvya Nagar and it would take some time. After I had waited for over four hours, the three doctors brought my husband's body in an ambulance and told me that he had suffered a stroke. They only allowed me a glimpse of my dead husband's face,' she said.

Sulekha alleged that the three also asked her to hurry up and take Aksar's body to Nadia in an ambulance because 'otherwise, it would become too decomposed'.

She said she was in 'a state of daze' and 'before I realised, the nursing home authorities had written a death certificate, saying my husband had died of cardiac arrest, and the ambulance was ready. I fell down on the road crying'.

Sulekha then contacted her brother, who was in Dehra Dun, and he took her to lodge the police complaint.

The incident bears a striking resemblance to the murder of surgeon Chandan Sen in Nadia in 2003. His body was found in a pond next to his colleague's house, where he had gone for dinner. Some of his other colleagues at Ranaghat Subdivisional Hospital had claimed that Sen had drowned but his wife smelt a rat. A post-mortem revealed that the death was caused by 'asphyxia as a result of smothering'.

Email This Page