The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Suicide blame on 2 for cheating

Siliguri, Nov. 13: Mou Biswas, a first year student of Siliguri Government Polytechnic College (SGPC), who committed suicide in her hostel room yesterday, has held two boys responsible for her death. Police, however, refused to reveal the names of the boys 'for the sake of investigation'.

In a suicide note that was recovered by the police, the girl reportedly accused the boys of cheating her. Sources said that the note, however, did not elaborate as to how the boys had cheated her. Relatives of Mou, who hailed from Alipore in Calcutta, have also lodged an FIR with the Bhaktinagar police station against the boys on the basis of the suicide note.

The body will be taken to Calcutta tonight. It has been handed over to her relatives following a post-mortem at North Bengal Medical College and Hospital.

Mou, who was the only child of Amal Biswas, had joined SGPC this year and was studying electronics and telecommunication.

The teenager hanged herself from the ceiling fan in her room with a dupatta around 2.30 pm, shortly after she returned to her hostel, located in the Jyotinagar area under Bhaktinagar police station, from her college in Dabgram, on the outskirts of the town.

'Normally, the classes get over at 2 pm, and the students return by the college bus. But yesterday Mou returned around 1.30 pm alone and went straight to her room,' said Kartik Chandra Samanta, the hostel superintendent.

Some time later, there was a call from her father on the hostel phone. When some students went to call her, they found the room locked from inside. They called her several times, but when there was no response, the hostel staff was informed who broke open the door to find Mou hanging from the ceiling fan.

Twenty-four hours later, and Mou's teachers and friends are still unable to make sense of the tragic way in which she chose to end her young life. 'She was a quiet girl and she never gave the impression that she was under any kind of stress. In fact, she had rejoined the hostel on November 6 after the Puja vacation and was her normal self,' said Samanta.

The SGPC suicide comes a fortnight after another young girl, Moushumi Debnath, had committed suicide in New Jalpaiguri. Moushsumi was allegedly harassed by some youths who were creating pressure on her to marry one of their friends.

Jalpaiguri superintendent of police Rahul Srivastav was not available for comment.

Email This Page