The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
History against blast suspect
- He cannot kill innocents, cries father

Srinagar, Nov. 13: Tariq Ahmad Dar, arrested in connection with the Delhi blasts, is no novice to subversive activities, but police here had believed he was returning to normal life after his release in May.

The police here said he was arrested by a team from Delhi near the saffron-rich south Kashmir town of Pampore on suspicion of involvement in the pre-Diwali blasts.

Giving Dar’s history, a senior police officer said a case already stood registered against him with the local police station at Shergarhi.

“He was arrested by the special operations group on April 20 this year. However, he was released after a month,” said the officer.

Dar, who has a one-year-old daughter, Rehmat, lived in the Solina locality of Srinagar. The family denied Dar’s links with any militant outfit, but an FIR with Shergarhi police station says he had been a Hizb-ul Mujahideen activist. The police had recovered weapons from him early this year.

His family ' father, two elder brothers, three married sisters and wife ' was getting anxious about him when news broke that he had been picked up by a special team of Delhi police. Ghulam Qadir Dar, his father, strongly denied he could be involved in the explosions. “I cannot believe that he is involved in the killing of innocents.”

Police officers said Dar had visited Saudi Arabia last year to perform Haj and had been going to Delhi regularly, apparently on official engagements. With a degree in chemistry, Dar has been working for pharmaceutical company Johnson & Johnson since May 1997. He also used to write for the Mount Valley magazine in Jammu and Kashmir for a remuneration of Rs 10,000 when he came in touch with Javed Sheikh, who was a reporter, in 2003.

After the magazine stopped publication because of a financial crisis, Sheikh apparently joined the Hizb and kept in touch with Dar as well as Abu Huzefa, a Pakistani national and a Lashkar-e-Toiba commander in the Valley.

After Sheikh was killed in an encounter, Dar started working for Lashkar and became a spokesman for the outfit, according to Delhi police. He was also given the task of providing medical treatment to injured militants.

Dar’s brother, however, said: “He was working in Johnson & Johnson company as sales manager and was returning to Srinagar after a business trip to Anantnag town when he was arrested.”

All three brothers were working ' one in a government office and another in a private clinic, said police sources.

Email This Page