The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
10-year-old goes missing on cycle

Ten-year-old Aishwarya Sinha, alias Moon, had come home from her boarding school in Kurseong to spend the winter holidays with her father. On Friday afternoon, she left her Ramgarh residence in Jadavpur on a bicycle and has not returned till Saturday evening.

Both the police and Aishwarya’s family are in the dark about her whereabouts. Her family has not received any ransom call and police suspect a “family dispute” behind the disappearance.

“Aishwarya arrived in Calcutta from her boarding school on November 24 to spend her winter vacation with me,” said her businessman father Manas Sinha.

“On Friday at around 12.30 in the afternoon, Aishwarya called me up at my office, though for no specific reason. Soon after, according to our domestic help, she answered a telephone call and left with her bicycle. She hasn’t come back,” said Sinha, who has separated from his wife.

“My wife lives in Haldia. She was trying to get in touch with Aishwarya for sometime, but has not been able to do so,” Sinha added. “My daughter may have spoken to her mother on the phone. I am trying to find out if she has gone to visit her.”

Incidentally, the 21-year-old elder daughter of the Sinhas had also left her father’s home. That was soon after the marriage fell through in 1999.

“My elder daughter had left me after a brief altercation one morning, just after the court granted me custody of my two daughters. Our relatives have spotted her a couple of times in and around the city, but nothing could be done as she is an adult. I believe she has been visiting her mother, but I cannot say for sure,” Sinha said.

According to sub-inspector of Jadavpur police station Rajat Sarkar, the case did not appear to be one of abduction.

“The girl went missing on Friday afternoon, but the family has not received a ransom call yet. We have come to know that the owner of a local laundry last saw her cycling down a road a little away from her house,” Sarkar said.

“Her father told us that Aishwarya would never ride too far from the house, as she had learnt cycling only during her current stay. If this information is correct, then it suggests she had gone along with someone she knew and had probably met the person at a designated spot,” the police officer added.

A five-member police team, led by Sarkar, raided an area near Jadavpur on Saturday but failed to trace her. “We are trying to find out if Aishwarya has gone to her mother’s house,” added Sarkar, who left for Haldia on Saturday evening.

Email This Page