The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
The City Diary

Two held for theft at medical centre

The detective department has arrested two persons and recovered three stolen microscopes and a camera worth more than Rs 5 lakh, which went missing from the proto-zoology laboratory of the Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine since November 17. According to Soumen Mitra, deputy commissioner of police, detective department, following a complaint lodged by director of the institute Jayshree Mitra Ghosh, the sleuths arrested Narayan Singh, alias Munna, the son of a retired Class IV employee of the School of Tropical Medicine, at his Bentinck Street residence on Saturday. After interrogating him, they picked up one of his aides, Mohammad Pervez, from the Bowbazar area on Monday. Mitra added that more arrests might follow, as investigation had revealed many in-house employees might be involved in the frequent thefts at the institute.

Teacher wins pay-up order

Calcutta High Court on Monday directed the state government to disburse five years’ salary of a school teacher with interest at the rate of 12 per cent per annum. A teacher of a Dinajpur school had filed a petition before Calcutta High Court alleging that the authorities had terminated his service in January 1989. He had filed an appeal against the termination order before the appeal committee of the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education. The committee, in 1994, had set aside the order of the school and directed it to pay the teacher’s salary from January 1989 to 1994. “I joined the service but the due amount was not paid to me by the school authorities. I have just retired,” the teacher said. Justice P.K. Roy, on the basis of the petition, asked the government to clear his dues within two weeks.

Cops transferred

The state home ministry has ordered a sudden round of transfers of senior police officials. Ajay Nand, the additional superintendent of police of Salt Lake, has been posted as commandant of Eastern Frontier Rifles and the additional superintendent of police of Barrackpore, K. Jayraman has replaced him. Additional superintendent of police of Asansol, Supratim Sarkar, succeeds Jayraman. Deputy Inspector General of police (presidency), Vijay Kumar, said these are routine transfers.

Housewife suicide

Mamata Shaw, 28, died at Sambhunath Pandit Hospital on Monday after attempting suicide on Friday by consuming poison. According to Nanda Gopal Pal, officer in charge of Hastings police station, based on the complaint lodged by Mamata’s parents, police arrested her husband Prem and brother-in-law Rajkumar on charges of torture.

Fire at school

Fire broke out on Monday morning at Maheswari Girls School in the Posta police station area. According to fire department officials, it took two fire tenders and nearly half an hour to douse the flames which started from a short-circuit near the main meter box. No casualties were reported.

Thumbs Up


TO Jadavpur University for introducing an exchange programme with universities in the US to allow its students international exposure

Email This Page