Mumbai: Former Board of Control for Cricket in India secretary Jaywant Lele said on Tuesday that Abhijit Kale, the Maharashtra batsman accused of offering bribes to two selectors to get into the Indian team for the tour of Australia, would come out of the scandal clean.
“After the inquiry by the one-man (D.V. Subba Rao) commission, Kiran More and Pranab Roy will no longer be selectors. This is not the first time such a thing has happened and this will not be the last either,” Lele said from Vadodara.
“Though money has changed hands in Indian cricket with very few incidents being proved, this bribery issue is totally bogus as I personally think that someone like Kale cannot afford huge amounts,” Lele said.
More and Roy, members of the senior selection committee, filed a written complaint with the board last week, saying Kale offered them Rs. 10 lakh each for being included in the Australia-bound team.
Meanwhile, the Uttar Pradesh government has ordered a probe against state selectors regarding bribery allegations by cricketer Ritesh Yadav, adds a report from Lucknow. The state sports secretary has been asked to probe the matter and submit his report within a week.
In the wake of the Kale episode, Yadav had alleged that selectors Gopal Sharma and Shashikant Khandekar had demanded money for his selection in the U-17 team for Vijay Merchant Trophy. The selectors have denied the allegation. (PTI)