Bangalore: Left-arm spinner R. Ramkumar bagged a hattrick and speedster L. Balaji took four for 51 as Tamil Nadu dismissed Karnataka for 208 on the opening day of the Ranji Trophy elite group B match on Friday.
The 22-year-old Ramkumar polished off the tail, sending back D. Ganesh, Venkatesh Prasad and Udit Patel. Tamil Nadu conceded 49 extras, which was the biggest contribution to the Karnataka total.
In Mumbai, Avishkar Salvi took five for 42 to help Mumbai bowl out Baroda for 213. Baroda were put in by Nilesh Kulkarni and never recovered after losing opener Connor Williams with 18 runs on the board.
Nayan Mongia scored a defiant 74. The former India wicketkeeper added 58 for the fourth wicket with Tushar Arothe and 68 with Himanshu Jadhav for the fifth. Ramesh Powar took three for 63.
In Kanpur, Gautam Gambhir hit 147 as Delhi reached 267 for two against Uttar Pradesh. The match saw the return of Ajay Jadeja, who is slated to bat at No. 5.
Gambhir and Salil Oberoi put on 231 for the first wicket and the first success for the home team came only after the tea break. The left-handed Gambhir hit 17 fours and a six in his 203-ball innings, while Oberoi struck ten fours during his 216-ball 80.
Ravneet Ricky and Dinesh Mongia put Punjab in control against Kerala in Palakkad. Ricky made 125 and skipper Mongia an unbeaten 115 as the visitors reached 305 for two.
Gujarat reduced Hyderabad to 240 for seven in Ahmedabad. Pacer Lalit Patel and spinner Timil Patel took three wickets each.
• In Ahmedabad: Hyderabad 240/7 (D. Vinay Kumar 75 n.o., Lalit Patel 3/58, Timil Patel 3/43) vs Gujarat.
• In Bangalore: Karnataka 208 (Sunil Joshi 46 n.o., L. Balaji 4/51, R. Ramkumar 4/42). Tamil Nadu 3/0.
• In Delhi: Andhra Pradesh 235/7 (M.S.K. Prasad 61) vs Railways.
• In Kanpur: Delhi 267/2 (Gautam Gambhir 147, Salil Oberoi 80) vs Uttar Pradesh.
• In Mumbai: Baroda 213 (Nayan Mongia 74, Avishkar Salvi 5/42, Ramesh Powar 3/63) vs Mumbai.
• In Palakkad: Punjab 305/2 (Ravneet Ricky 125, Dinesh Mongia 115 n.o. Samrat Sharma 38) vs Kerala. (PTI)