The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Canada mess, Calcutta suit

The alleged crime took place in Toronto. But acting on a Calcutta High Court order, Calcutta police is shuttling between Calcutta and Delhi to investigate it.

Probing an alleged case of marital violence, officials of Maidan police station flew to Delhi to trace the accused. But they returned empty-handed, as all those named in the complaint live abroad.

A few weeks ago, the investigating officer submitted the chargesheet mentioning his findings before the high court.

“Neither the complainant nor the accused lives in the police station area. The alleged crime did not take place here. The only reason we have been ordered to probe it is that the marriage was held in a city hotel that falls under our jurisdiction,” said Asish Sengupta, officer-in-charge of Maidan police station.

The complaint was filed before the high court. “There is a high court ruling to the effect that the police station under which a marriage is held can handle such a complaint,” Sengupta added.

N.A. Khan, investigating officer, wrote in the chargesheet that the accused are “absconding”. “They could not be found at the address that the complaint mentioned. It is next to impossible to track them down without help from Interpol. It all depends on the court’s decision,” said Khan.

The daughter of a retired lieutenant-colonel got married in 1995. “The bride’s father lived in the army quarters and the marriage was held in a hotel. Then the couple flew to Delhi, from where it shifted to Canada,” said Khan.

Toronto was the scene of the alleged marital violence. The bride had started working there as a dental surgeon. “According to the complainant, the police in Toronto were informed,” said Khan, adding: “We received a directive from the high court and registered a case on October 2, 2002. The complainant gave a power of attorney to her brother to proceed with the case.”

“Whenever we needed information, we contacted the complainant’s brother. The investigation took a year and the charge-sheet was filed on September 26,” said Khan. Police said there was no lawyer in the court on behalf of the accused. “Now, we are waiting for further directions from the court,” said Sengupta.

Email This Page