Davenport out for season
London: World No. 4 Lindsay Davenport underwent surgery on her left foot on Wednesday and will miss the remainder of the 2003 season, the WTA said.
The former US Open and Wimbledon champion is expected to be sidelined for up to eight weeks after she had an operation to rectify a pinched toe nerve that had been bothering her throughout the year.
The surgery rules her out of the season-ending WTA Championships in Los Angeles next month. “I’m very disappointed that I won’t be able to play in the WTA Tour Championships, which is a prestigious tournament and an important one for me because it’s in my hometown,” the American said in a statement.
Spurs turn down Rivaldo
London: English Premiership side Tottenham Hotspurs have turned down a chance to sign Brazil World Cup star Rivaldo from European champions AC Milan.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy was reported by the Daily Mirror on Thursday has turned down the forward’s £50,000 ($80,000) a week wage demands. AC Milan — who want him off their wage bill — agreed to a £5 million ($8 million) pay-off and to cancel his contract, which would make him a free agent. Rivaldo’s agent has been trying to strike the deal. But the club has spent all their transfer budget.
Rooney bid denied
London: Everton have denied English Premiership leaders Chelsea have made a £35 million ($58 million) bid for 17-year-old England striker Wayne Rooney. “We have had no contact with Chelsea or from any other club regarding Wayne Rooney and nor would we welcome any,” said Everton’s head of corporate affairs and PR Ian Ross. Rooney signed a contract with Everton in January which runs until June 2006 and has been linked with an improved deal.
The Sun claimed a Chelsea representative held unofficial talks with Rooney’s agents last week. Chelsea, who went top of the Premiership on Wednesday following a 0-0 draw at Birmingham, have already spent more than £100 million on players since Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich took over the club in June.
Paolo Maldini’s ‘no’ to Italy
Rome: AC Milan defender Paolo Maldini has ruled out a return to the Italian national team for the European Championships in Portugal next year.
Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni said earlier this week that he hoped Maldini could be persuaded to come back to the Azzurri.
But the 35-year-old, who won 126 caps before retiring from international football at the end of the 2002 World Cup, said they he had not discussed a possible return. “I haven’t spoken to Trapattoni for almost six months. And, as far as I’m concerned, absolutely nothing has changed,” Maldini was quoted as saying in Corriere dello Sport on Thursday.
London: Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson will face a FA disciplinary hearing next Monday on misconduct charges levelled at him following a touchline spat in August.
The FA, who announced the hearing date on Thursday, had charged Ferguson with “the alleged use of abusive and/or insulting language to a match official” during his team’s 2-1 win at Newcastle United on August 23.
Injury woe for Salas
Santiago: Injury-plagued Chile striker Marcelo Salas is unlikely to be fit in time for next month’s World Cup qualifiers against Uruguay and Paraguay, coach Juvenal Olmos said on Wednesday.
“He’s not going to make it,” Olmos said. “He’s not going to be at his best which is logical, because for a player to reach his top form he needs matches.”
Sport on Screen
Cricket: India vs New Zealand, 2nd Test, Day II live from 9.30am on DD Sports
Cricket: Australia vs Zimbabwe, 2nd Test, Day I live from 5.57am on ESPN
Rugby: World Cup, NZ vs Canada live from 3pm on ESPN