Calcutta: The track played true in spite of taking heavy pounding from the week-long rain as the curtain came down on an eventful 15-day monsoon season on Friday. The racing during the season was quite tough and winner spotting an arduous task, leaving the the club management to harden their attitude for a spate of suspensions during the last three weeks.
Stewards showed no mercy even for the top bracket jockeys, leave alone those who survived by the day. The afternoon itself saw the likes of Som Singhs and E. Smiths getting the wrong end of the stick for crimes committed in recent past. Amarpreet Singh, however, was lucky to have escaped with a fine of Rs 3,000 in view of his role that sent two of his fellow professionals — S. Shanker and K. Suresh — to Woodlands. While partnering Perfect Vision to victory, Singh had cut across Castle Moon who went on to tighten the field, particularly, Shanker’s Anacott. Shanker was, therefore, unseated as Anacott came a cropper while Suresh, on My Dancer being directly behind, followed the suit.
According to the nursing home sources, both jockeys are under observation. Shanker is, however, still under a state of shock while the gravity of Suresh’s back injury is yet to be determined. Both horses had to be destroyed.
|Jockey Md Amil on Anokato (right) winning the Wise Guy Cup from Barrier Ridge at the RCTC on Friday. Picture by Kishore Roychowdhury
Calcutta: Even though Deepak Khaitan’s Derby winner, Accuser, had claimed a sizeable amount of prize-money, his fellow owner MAM Ramaswamy emerged as the leading stake-money winner during the 2003 monsoon season. As a result of MAM’s complete dominance during the season, his main trainer Daniel David and the stable jockey Amyn Merchant topped the championship tables. The following are the toppers in their respective fields:
Leading owners: MAM Ramaswamy and Deepak Khaitan.
Leading trainers: Daniel David, Bharath Singh and Errol Bhungard.
Leading jockeys: Amyn Merchant, S. Shanker and Cristopher Alford.
Leading tipsters: Horse Power, Prophecy and The Statesman.
Leading three-year-olds: Accuser, Evangeline and Flying Dash
Leading older horses: Regal Rocket, Calamint and ArgentoRESULTS
1. Green Sari Cup 1,800m: (4-1-5-3) Argento (Shanker) 1; El Cid (R. Ahmed) 2; Safarando (Kujur) 3; Star Selection (Suresh) 4. Won by: 5-3/4; 1-3/4; Nk; (2-1.7). Tote: Win Rs 12; Place: 10; 29; Quinella: 30; Shp: 26; Tanala: 165. Fav: Argento (4). Winner trained by Bharath S.
2. Aristocrat Handicap 1,100m: (1-2-4-5) Flying Dash (R. Ahmed) 1; Blushing Queen (Suresh) 2; Onewonone (Islam) 3; Advancer (Shanker) 4. Won by: 1/2; 2-1/4; Nk; (1-13.7). Tote: Win Rs 79; Place: 34; 11; Quinella: 54; Shp: 57; Tanala: 310. Fav: Blushing Queen (2). Winner trained by E. Bhungard.
3. Aunty Pip Handicap 1,000m: (7-9-6-2) Perfect Vision (A. P. Singh) 1; Gul (Som S.) 2; King Nicholas (Gurang) 3; Secret Desire (M. Reuben) 4. Won by: Nk; 1-3/4; 1-1/2; (1-8.4). Tote: Win Rs 85; Place: 21; 68; 163; Quinella: 1,266; Shp: 182; Tanala: 63,254. Fav: My Dancer (5). Winner trained by Bath.
4. Arthur B Handicap 2,000m: (4-5-3-2) Blue Chip (Islam) 1; Terrificco (Amil) 2; Rheinheart (A. P. Singh) 3; Flying Scot (Surender) 4. Not run: She’s A Star (8). Won by: 5-3/4; 6-1/4; 4-3/4; (2-12.9). Tote: Win Rs 36; Place: 15; 17; 19; Quinella: 78; Shp: 38; Tanala: 515. Fav: Athenia (7). Winner trained by Bharath S.
5. Wise Guy Cup 1,200m: (4-7-3-1) Anokato (Amil) 1; Barrier Ridge (Yasin) 2; Lockers Park (Islam) 3; The Archer (P. Alford) 4. Won by: Nk; 3-3/4; 1; (1-19.3). Tote: Win Rs 41; Place: 17; 14; 19; Quinella: 219; Shp: 40; Tanala: 937. Fav: Callisto (8). Winner trained by Daniel D.
6. Fair Ray Handicap 1,000m: (11-2-3-6) Excellent Striker (Islam) 1; Lively Project (Amil) 2; Lucifer (P. Alford) 3; Software (Som S.) 4. Won by: 1-3/4; 1/2; Nk; (1-6.3). Tote: Win Rs 42; Place: 18; 27; 30; Quinella: 210; Shp: 66; Tanala: 1,904. Fav: Software (6). Winner trained by Daniel D.
7. Shahi Bag Handicap 1,000m: (1-6-5-8) Moira (M. Reuben) 1; Land Of Fantasy (R. Ahmed) 2; Bigshow (A. P. Singh) 3; Stimulated (Yasin) 4. Won by: 1/2; 1/2; Nk; (1-6.9). Tote: Win Rs 34; Place: 18; 32; 16; Quinella: 196; Shp: 90; Tanala: 855. Fav: Moira (1). Winner trained by D. Karki.
Jackpot: Rs 19,479; (C) Rs 2,951.
Treble: (i) Rs 3,008; (ii) Rs 674.