Krishnagung (Nadia), Oct. 6: Two friends returning from a Puja congregation last night were electrocuted. A couple mistook one of them for their son and lunged forward. All four died.
The drizzly Dashami evening was darker than usual at Shibnibash village, about 110 km from Calcutta. Ratan Biswas, 29, and his friend Sanjit Biswas, 29, came in touch with snapped electric cables around 2 am. Laxman, 45, and his wife Urmila, 37, saw them in front of their house and thought one of them was Krishna, their son, who was supposed to return home from a pandal-hopping trip to Calcutta. Daughter Kamana, 20, was asleep.
“The youths came in contact with 230 Volt wires, which must have snapped during the downpour,” said deputy superintendent of police Amitava Barma.