The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Murder mates sentenced for life
- Partners in crime, engaged in blame game, plead for leniency to raise children

With his last breath, Kunal Bose had expressed his concern for his two minor sons, before succumbing to his injuries. In a cruel twist of fate, more than three years later, the two people convicted for his murder, pleaded with the court to lessen their sentence as they had minor children to take care of.

On Thursday, at Alipore court, Himadri Guha Roy, judge, special court (Essential Commodities Act), and additional district and sessions judge, sentenced both Kalyan Roy, alias Nantu, and his paramour Aparajita Bose, alias Moon Moon, Kunal’s wife, to life imprisonment. They would also be slapped with an additional three-month term in case of default on the fine of Rs 5,000 each. In his 117-page judgment, Guha Roy described the murder of Kunal as a heinous and pre-planned crime.

According to a plan hatched by the duo, Nantu had asked Kunal to wait for him at Gariahat on May 26, 2000. They then drove to a secluded spot at Khanaberia, in Tiljala, on the southern fringes of the city. Nantu and Gautam Mondal, the driver, overpowered Kunal and hit him on the head and chest with a sharp weapon, dumped him and fled. A night guard and a local resident found him and rushed him to National Medical College and Hospital with the help of a police patrol, where Kunal later died.

The judgment was a landmark as this was the first time that the Information Technology Act 2000 was introduced during a murder trial here. “In an interview with a private news channel, Moon Moon had spoken about her intention to ask for a divorce from Kunal. She had said that despite this, ‘Nantuda’ murdered her husband. This evidence proved vital in the prosecution of the duo,” said public prosecutor Asim Das. “Before passing the judgment, the court mentioned 12 important points, including Kunal’s dying statement, in which he named Nantu as his killer.”

The two convicts were brought to court on time on Thursday, but the proceedings were delayed due to a power failure. The authorities had deployed a state police team and over a dozen commandos to avert any untoward incident. The courtroom and the courtyard at Alipore court were packed. Outside the court, Moon Moon’s brother Rahul said they would appeal in a higher court. Nantu, however, alleged that he had been framed by Moon Moon.

Email This Page