The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Man confesses to killing wife

Barely 24 hours after the murder of Srabani Nandi, her husband, Sisir, broke down and confessed to having battered his wife to death in a fit of rage. The attack, he said, was prompted by suspicion that Srabani was involved with a local youth.

The 39-year-old housewife was murdered in her Kasundia Second Bylane house in Shibpur on Friday. Her forehead and the back of her head had been battered.

Officers from Shibpur and Chatterjeehat jointly took up the case as the Nandi house falls under the jurisdiction of both the police stations.

During nightlong interrogation, Sisir cracked and confessed to the crime. “The couple was struggling to cope with a failed marriage and Sisir recently heard that his wife was having an affair with a local youth,” said Salil Bhattacharya, officer-in-charge, Shibpur police station.

According to Bhattacharya, the police became suspicious after Sisir gave contradictory statements. “We got a lead when he admitted that he was planning to go in for a divorce, as the situation had become unbearable for him,” said one of the investigators.

Giving a blow-by-blow account of the murder, Sisir said he went to his factory after dropping his son to school, where he spent a quarter of an hour before driving back home.

On his return, Sisir had a showdown with Srabani over her alleged affair. When Srabani realised that Sisir was planning to file for divorce, she reportedly started demanding a flat and money.

“This infuriated Sisir so much so that he caught his wife by the hair and dashed her head repeatedly against a pillar before ramming the back of her head on the staircase. Then, he strangled her with a rope,” said the police.

The local youth, suspected to have been involved with Srabani, was detained. “We are interrogating the youth and also recording his statements, since these may prove to be important during the trial of the case,” the police added.

Sisir and Srabani’s son, a student of Class IX, was at the Shibpur police station till late on Friday. He is now staying with his maternal grandfather.

Body found

The body of a 58-year-old daily wager of a Brabourne Road godown was found with multiple stab injuries on Saturday morning at the Armenian Ghat in the North Port police station area. Police said Panchanan Swain was declared brought dead at the Calcutta Medical College and Hospital.

Email This Page