A woman committed suicide by consuming poison at her Mahestala home after she found her two toddlers unconscious. They had accidentally taken pesticides while playing on Thursday. One of the children died on the spot, while the mother and the other child died in a local hospital.
Police said that around 7 pm, mother Chhaya Sardar, 25, saw her two daughters, Chitra, 4, and Rimpa, 3, slumped on the floor. She realised they had consumed some poison kept for killing rats.
Chhaya first tried to revive the girls by sprinkling water on them. When her efforts proved futile, she consumed some of the poison.
Chhaya’s husband Kartik was not at home at the time. Police have ruled out foul play.